The Carleton Board of Trustees met on campus from May 12-14, 2022. The following is a brief summary of major topics discussed and actions taken during their meeting.
1. The Board approved faculty leaves of absence for 2022-24.
2. The Board approved spring term B.A. degrees, pending successful completion of their remaining requirements.
3. The Board approved the following faculty promotions:
- From Professor to Professor Emeritus: Guy Kalland (Physical Education, Athletics, and Recreation), Richard Keiser (Political Science), Mark Krusemeyer (Mathematics and Statistics), Elizabeth McKinsey (English and American Studies)
- From Lecturer to Lecturer Emeritus: Paul Hager (Cinema and Media Studies)
- From Associate Professor to Full Professor: Tun Myint (Political Science)
- From Assistant Professor to Associate Professor: Rika Anderson (Biology), Robert Thompson (Mathematics and Statistics)
- Promotion to Associate Professor: Rebecca Brückmann (History)
- Promotion to Endowed Chair: Sharon Atsuko Akimoto — Ada M. Harrison Distinguished Teaching Professor of the Social Sciences; Deborah S. Gross – Charles “Jim” and Marjorie Kade Professor of the Sciences and Chemistry; Silvia López – Maxine H. and Winston R. Wallin Professor of Spanish; Kofi Owusu – Marjorie Crabb Garbisch Professor of the Liberal Arts; Noboru Tomonari – Class of 1952 Professor of Asian Languages
4. The Board approved awarding an Honorary Degree to Willetha (‘Toni) Carter ’75, former teacher and St. Paul (MN) School Board member, longtime Ramsay County Commissioner, the first African American to serve on a county board in Minnesota and first to chair a county board in the state.
5. The Board approved the awarding of a William Carleton medal.
6. The Board elected three new regular trustees, one new alumni trustee, and one new young alumni trustee, each for a four-year term beginning July 1, 2022. The Board also elected two current trustees to a second four-year term. Additionally, the Board elected three former trustees to the role of Trustee Emeritus.
7. The Board received background on and engaged in preliminary discussion of fossil fuel divestment.
8. The Board discussed strategic planning and President Byerly’s vision for process and timeline.
9. The Board engaged in a Title IX update, presented by Laura Riehl-Merrill, Title IX Coordinator, and Heidi Jaynes, Associate Athletic Director and Title IX Deputy. The presentation included recent changes to Title IX and NCAA policies, background on Carleton policies and procedures (including the Responsible Party Policy), and data on reports and formal complaints.
10. In between meetings, Trustees were able to attend classes and experience the Imagined Futures, Forgotten Pasts exhibit through walking tours of campus architecture.
11. Trustees were treated to a performance by Carleton’s Ballroom Dance Team.