The Carleton Board of Trustees met virtually via Zoom for its Fall Term meeting on October 21-24, 2020. The following is a brief summary of major topics discussed and actions taken during their meeting:
- The Board received a campaign update from Campaign Chair Cathy Paglia.
- The Board approved faculty leaves of absence for 2020-24.
- The Board approved mid-term B.A. degrees, pending successful completion of their remaining requirements. The Trustees also approved four honorary degrees.
- The Board approved the following faculty promotions:
- From Professor to Professor Emeritus: Mariko Kaga and Harry McKinley Williams, Jr.
- From Professor to Endowed Chair: Susannah R. Ottaway, Laird Bell Professor of History
- The Board accepted the 2019-20 audited financial statements and the 2019 audited retirement plan financial statements. The Board also approved the engagement of tax and audit services for 2020-21.
- The Board received an update from President Poskanzer and his executive team on the academic and operational impacts of COVID-19 on Carleton students, faculty, staff and the College’s finances during Fall Term. The Board also discussed some of the early planning for Winter Term.
- The Board received an update on the Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity efforts at the College, and were in support of the proposed planning process led by a newly-formed Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity Steering Group. A panel of BIPOC students impressed upon Trustees what the present-day campus experience is like for BIPOC students.