The Carleton Board of Trustees met virtually via Zoom for two special meetings on July 8 and August 28, 2020. The following is a brief summary of major topics discussed and actions taken during their meetings:
- The Board received proposed comprehensive plan for the 2020-21 fiscal year as colleges around the country navigate operations amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. The plan included considerations for safety (testing, quarantining, etc.), academics, residential life, group events, travel, and financials.
- The Board approved and supported these operational and financial plans for Fall Term 2020 and Fiscal Year 2021, with the understanding that further details will be worked out in the coming months, and subject to modifications as evolving circumstances dictate or allow, and in continued consultation with the Board as events unfold.
- The Board approved a Resolution of Celebration of Vice President and Treasurer, Fred Rogers’ contributions to the College and designate him Vice President and Treasurer Emeritus.
- The Board approved a resolution to elect Eric Runestad Treasurer of the Board and to approve his appointment as Vice President and Treasurer of Carleton College.
- The Board met to discuss and address racial inclusion, diversity, and equity on campus.
- The Board received an update on student demands and actions taken to date, including plans for anti-racism training for faculty, staff and new students, and additional resources being dedicated to support antiracism work and efforts related to improving equity and inclusion.
- The Board approved moving forward with a planning process to address inclusion, diversity, and equity issues on campus.