Carleton Board of Trustees Meeting
February 2019 Summary
The Carleton Board of Trustees met on campus from February 7-9, 2019. The following is a brief summary of actions taken and major topics discussed during their meeting:
1. The Board approved new faculty leaves of absence for 2019-20, as well as changes to leaves already approved for 2019-20 and 2020-21.
2. The Board approved the request for mid-year B.A. degrees, pending successful completion of their remaining requirements for graduation.
3. The Board approved tenure and promotion to Associate Professor for one faculty member: Christopher Calderone in the Chemistry Department.
4. The Board approved the tax returns IRS 990 and IRS 990-T for the fiscal year ended June 30, 3018.
5. The Board approved awarding the William Carleton Medal to two donors, in recognition of their extraordinary generosity to the College, based on cumulative gifts totaling at least $1.5 million.
6. The Board approved the comprehensive fee and operating budget for Fiscal Year 2019-20.
7. The Board approved an amendment to the Trustee Bylaws. The amendment centered on an update to the Investment Committee charter, including process of oversight, membership, and term lengths.
8. The Board accepted changes to the Investment Policy Statement to better align with the Investment Committee’s scope and responsibility.
9. The Board meeting focused on how the humanities at Carleton are important to a great liberal arts education. All Trustees attended a humanities class. The plenary session explored how Carleton students connect with faculty research and creative activity in these disciplines. They also learned a bit more about the Humanities Center and specific projects funded through the Mellon “Public Works” grant.
10. Finally, Trustees welcomed an opportunity to connect with students. They enjoyed a short series of dramatic and musical performances in the newly-refurbished Nourse Little Theater, followed by dinner with the student performers and Cave staff in the Cave.