The Theater minor requires 38 credits. It is designed for students who are interested in extending and deepening their exploration of Theater Arts. Theater is inherently cross disciplinary. Its sub-disciplines include acting, directing, design, playwriting, and literary analysis. The Minor has four tracks and two required courses. Students may choose one track or a combination of tracks to arrive at the minimum of 38 credits.
1. Two required courses:
2. One of the following tracks. Courses marked with an * are required.
- *THEA 110 Beginning Acting
- *THEA 195 Acting Shakespeare (taken at the 200 or 300 level);
- 6 credits from one of the following courses or approved by the minor coordinator or department chair.
- *THEA 115 Principles of Design
- 12 credits from the following courses or approved by the minor coordinator or department chair
- Playwriting and Research
- * THEA 226 Avant-Garde Theater and Performance (not offered 2020-21)
- * THEA 246 Playwriting (not offered 2020-21)
- 6 credits from the following courses or approved by the minor coordinator or department chair.
- THEA 251 Top Girls: Women Playwrights (not offered 2020-21)
- ENGL 129 Introduction to British Comedy (not offered 2020-21)
- ENGL 144 Shakespeare
- ENGL 213 Christopher Marlowe (not offered 2020-21)
- ENGL 214 Revenge Tragedy (not offered 2020-21)
- ENGL 258 Contemporary American Playwrights of Color
- ENGL 282 London Program: London Theater
- GRK 304 Greek Tragedy for Advanced Students
- GRK 351 Aristophanes (not offered 2020-21)
- RUSS 351 Chekhov
3. Six course credits outside the chosen sub-disciplinary track approved by the minor coordinator or department chair.
4. Two credits of THEA 190 Carleton Players Production
Three credits of THEA 199 Theater Practicum.
A student participating in a department production is automatically enrolled in THEA 190, which is allotted one academic credit. Students with significant roles in a production can earn three credits in THEA 199 with permission and must waitlist for the class.