Welcome to Carleton
Carleton College was founded upon and remains committed to the liberal arts tradition, and the Summer Liberal Arts Institute aims to authentically profile the strengths and benefits of a liberal arts education for our participants each summer. While you dive into your program’s area of study, you will also be challenged to think critically, express your creativity, and seek out new experiences in and out of the classroom.
For some students, this is their first visit to the US, while others have attended schools or grown up abroad. Whatever your story, we hope to support you here and hope to welcome you to Northfield, Minnesota.Visit Carleton’s Office of International Life website to learn more about attending Carleton as an international student.
International COVID-19 Vaccines at SLAI:
Carleton College follows CDC and WHO guidelines. Please refer to the list of COVID-19 vaccines available abroad that are accepted in the US as valid vaccinations on the CDC website. (Scroll to the bottom to reference the “Vaccination Received Outside the United States” section.)
The application for an international student is the same as for a domestic student, with a few extra requirements. Visit the Application page for more information about the requirements, and read below for additional International Applicant requirements.
Additional Requirements for International Applicants
Due at time of application:
(upload these materials after submitting your application via the application dashboard)
- TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo score (A SAT or ACT score can also be accepted)
- Translation of your current academic transcript (if necessary)
- Copy of your passport
- Completed International Certification of Finances Form (include a bank statement with your submission)
Due after acceptance:
- $350 International Fee
- Includes Application Processing (Visa), an overnight stay before the program begins, and an overnight stay after the program ends). This is in addition to the tuition cost and $75 application fee.
- Proof of USA health insurance
- All international students will need to submit documentation showing they have health insurance coverage while on campus. Students will be responsible for purchasing their own health insurance for the short term they are on campus. Health insurance documentation will be due in June and is only required for accepted students.
English Proficiency Information:
In addition to TOEFL and IELTS, we accept Duolingo English Test scores! Visit the Duolingo English Test score site to take the test and send your results directly to us at Carleton.
Students with scores in the following ranges are best prepared to study and learn at the Summer Liberal Arts Institute:
- Paper-Based TOEFL – 600 and above
- Internet-Based TOEFL – 100 and above
- Computer-Based TOEFL – 250 and above
- IELTS – 7.0 and above
- Duolingo English Test – 120 and above
Become a Summer Carl
Ready to spend your summer with us? The 2023 application has closed, but explore how to apply for next year!