Carleton College is a liberal arts college, and the Summer Liberal Arts Institute will strive to give you a truly Carleton experience this summer. While you dive into your program’s area of study, you will also be challenged to think critically, express your creativity, and seek out new experiences in and out of the classroom.
Carleton’s international community includes a wide variety of experiences each summer. For some students, this is their first visit to the US, while others have attended schools or grown up abroad. Whatever your story, we hope to support you here and hope to welcome you to Northfield, Minnesota.
Application and Deadlines
The application for an international student is the same as for a domestic student, with a few extra requirements. Visit the Applicantion page for more information about the requirements, and read below for additional International Applicant requirements.
Additional Requirements for International Applicants:
- TOEFL or IELTS score (A SAT or ACT score can also be accepted)
- Translation of your current academic transcript (if necessary)
- Copy of your passport
- Completed International Certification of Finances (include a bank statement with your submission)
- $300 International Fee
- Includes Application Processing (Visa), an overnight stay before the program begins, and an overnight stay after the program ends). This is in addition to the $500 deposit for general applicants. Submit your online deposit.
- Proof of health insurance
- All international students will need to submit documentation showing they have health insurance coverage while on campus. Students will be responsible for purchasing their own health insurance for the short term they are on campus. Health insurance documentation will be due in June and is only required for accepted students.
English Proficiency Information:
Students with scores in the following ranges are best prepared to study and learn at the Summer Liberal Arts Institute:
- Paper-Based TOEFL – 600 and above
- Internet-Based TOEFL – 95 and above
- Computer-Based TOEFL – 250 and above
- IELTS – 7.0 and above