The 2021 Application is Now Closed
Students who are currently in 10th and 11th grade (rising junior and senior while the program is in session) are eligible to apply. Students who would like to participate in any of our programs must apply for admission; completed applications are submitted to the Admissions Committee for review.
For 2021, there will only be one round of applications. This is a change from past years. All applications to SLAI 2021 will be reviewed at the same time with a deadline of March 19th. Any applications submitted after March 19th will be considered if program space permits.
Full Pay Applicants
All students applying for full pay admission to the Carleton Summer Liberal Arts Institute MUST submit:
1. Your completed online application form.
- Background information
- Short essay answers (500 words or less)
- Completed certification and review of your application
2. A copy of your most recent high school transcripts.
- Your transcripts can be either official (mailed directly to us from your school counselor) or unofficial (uploaded to your online application dashboard or mailed to us from you).
- Transcripts must begin with grade 9 (freshman year), include Fall 2019 term grades, and include a list of courses you are currently taking.
- Transcripts must include the name of your school, course titles, and grades earned.
- Please do not submit printouts or screenshots from online grade portals.
3. Two recommendation letters
- As a part of your online application, you will be asked to provide contact information for two references. Once you have entered in their contact information and completed the recommendation section of the online application, your references will be emailed a link for submitting their recommendation letter.
- Your references must be able to speak to your academic abilities. All recommendation letters submitted are reviewed by the admissions committee.
- You can submit your online application before your recommenders submit their letters, but your application will not be considered complete without the recommendation letters. However, we allow recommenders to submit their letters up to one week after the deadline. This year, letters of recommendation are due on March 26, one week after the rest of the application.
- Your recommendations are your responsibility, so make sure to check in with your recommenders if the deadline is nearing and they have not yet submitted their letters. Some recommendation request forms get lost in junk or spam folders, so you should confirm your references received and completed the form. If the link expires, you can send an updated link once you have certified and submitted your online application.
4. $75 Application Fee
- Each student will be required to submit a $75 application fee with their application. This covers the detailed processing and review time invested into our applications.
- Please allow 2 business days for the application fee requirement to appear marked as “received” on the student’s application dashboard.
5. Program-specific documents
- This could include a writing sample or portfolio, and not all programs have specific document requirements. Check your application dashboard and program web page for more details.
6. OPTIONAL ITEMS (NOT REQUIRED):
- An unofficial copy of your PLAN/ACT and/or PSAT/SAT scores.
Are you an International Student?
View our International Student Information page for additional application requirements and resources.