The application has closed for SLAI 2020.
Students who are currently in 10th and 11th grade (rising junior and senior while the program is in session) are eligible to apply. Students who would like to participate in any of our programs must apply for admission; completed applications are submitted to the Admissions Committee for review.
Please be aware that students are admitted to our programs after the first deadline, and space may be limited at the final application deadline.
Full Pay Applicants
All students applying for full pay admission to the Carleton Summer Liberal Arts Institute MUST submit:
1. Your completed online application form.
- Background information
- Short essay answers (500 words or less)
- Completed certification and review of your application
2. A copy of your most recent high school transcripts.
- Your transcripts can be either official (mailed directly to us from your school counselor) or unofficial (uploaded to your online application dashboard or mailed to us from you).
- Transcripts must begin with grade 9 (freshman year), include Fall 2019 term grades, and include a list of courses you are currently taking.
- Transcripts must include the name of your school, course titles, and grades earned.
- Please do not submit printouts or screenshots from online grade portals.
3. Two recommendation letters
- As a part of your online application, you will be asked to provide contact information for two references. Once you have entered in their contact information and completed the recommendation section of the online application, your references will be emailed a link for submitting their recommendation letter.
- Your references must be able to speak to your academic abilities. All recommendation letters submitted are reviewed by the admissions committee.
- You can submit your online application before your recommenders submit their letters, but your application will not be considered complete without the recommendation letters. Your recommendations are your responsibility, so make sure to check in with your recommenders if the deadline is nearing and they have not yet submitted their letters. Some recommendation request forms get lost in junk or spam folders, so you should confirm your references received and completed the form. If the link expires, you can send an updated link once you have certified and submitted your online application.
4. A $500 deposit
- If you are accepted to the institute, the $500 is applied to your tuition. If you are not accepted to the institute, the $500 is refunded to you. Our application does not have an additional application fee.
5. Program-specific documents
- This could include a writing sample or portfolio, and not all programs have specific document requirements. Check your application dashboard and program web page for more details.
6. OPTIONAL ITEMS (NOT REQUIRED):
- An unofficial copy of your PLAN/ACT and/or PSAT/SAT scores.
Are you an International Student?
View our International Student Information page for additional application requirements and resources.