What is LNT?
Late Night Trivia is a four-hour student-organized trivia and activity-based competition broadcast on KRLX 88.1 FM on the first day of Reading Days each winter term.
Here’s what happens:
- A trivia question is asked over the radio, and then a song is played.
- Teams have until the end of that song to answer the question asked before the song and identify the song and artist.
- Four “Action Trivias” are announced throughout the night; they involve sending a contingent from your team to a specified location and performing a specified task, usually involve acting something out, building something, or competing in some way.
- Four “Medleys” (a series of sounds spliced together) are also played throughout the competition; your job is to identify the correct elements from these compilations, elements that can range from who’s talking, who’s singing, or what’s happening.
- The Stumper is the golden snitch of LNT – a secret word known only to The Gods. Every hour, a clue is given for The Stumper, each progressively less difficult than the last.
- The headquarters of LNT this year is Sayles 251.
How do you win?
- The first team to correctly answer each question gets a prize as does the first team to identify the song and artist.
- Each question, song, “Action Trivia,” “Medley,” The Stumper, and bribe is worth points and at the end of the night top teams win mediocre / absurdly thrilling prizes.
- The most spirited team according to The Gods wins the privilege to sign their team name on the LNT Spirit Trophy.
- Bribes will be requested by The Gods over the air throughout the competition in Sayles 251; the teams who can deliver the desired item(s) to them will receive bonus points.
Important phone numbers:
- To register and find out your very important team number in the hour before LNT starts, call 507-222-5622
- During LNT, to answer a question or identify a song or artist, call 507-222-4127
- During LNT, to answer The Stumper or a “Medley,” call 507-222-5622
A note about competitive spirit:
- While the Gods have no way to control how you choose to identify and discover the songs that we play, in the spirit of LNT, we encourage you to partake in the thrill of the hunt and work actively with your own knowledge and with the tools that can aid that knowledge instead of letting some device or program steal the fun from you.
- Teams can be any size.
- Teams can be any combination of students. Floor teams tend to do well but so do clubs that play together or just a group of friends.
- You must register your team during the hour (6 P.M – 7 P.M) before LNT begins by calling 507-222-5622 and giving your team name and a contact phone number in order to get your official team number. This official team number must be used to identify your team when calling in answers, performing “Action Trivias,” giving The Gods gifts, or answering The Stumper so make sure your whole team knows your official team number.
- Songs: Any team that correctly identifies both the song and artist receives 1 point.
- Trivia: The first team to answer a question correctly receives 2 points, every other team receives 1 point.
- Medleys: Any team that can identify every component in the correct order receives 15 points.
- The Stumper: The first team to get The Stumper receives 40 points, the second receives 30, the third 20, and every other team receives 10 points.
- SPIRIT POINTS: Spirit points are earned by competing well in the hourly action trivia and obeying the will of the gods.