Don’t see your question here? Submit a FAQ.

What support groups are available for students?

Student Health and Counseling offers therapy groups regularly, and students should check the group website to know which groups are offered during any term. Common groups that have been offered in the past include: understanding self and others; expressive art; and grief.

What mental health services are available at Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) for students?

Student Health and Counseling offers individual, group, and urgent on call counseling for students. Specific services include:

  • Short-term individual counseling is offered free to all Carleton students.
  • Unlimited group counseling
  • Psychiatry – medication consultation, initiation, and maintenance
  • Dietitian – nutrition therapy for students struggling with their relationship with food
  • Referrals to off-campus therapy (so students can seek specialists or find providers whom they can see for longer-term therapy.)
  • Supportive counseling for any issue, large or small.  You don’t need to be in crisis or have a diagnosed mental health issue to seek care.
  • Emergency After-Hours phone consultation

For more information about SHAC counseling services, staff available, or reasons students might seek care, visit the SHAC counseling services webpage.

Are counseling services confidential?

Yes. All counseling services are confidential. Information regarding a student’s counseling cannot be released, except as dictated by law, without the written consent of the student. No record of the student’s visit is placed on a transcript or academic record.

Is there a 24 hour support line for students?

Yes! Students can call 855-705-2479 any day, any time and speak with a mental health professional.

Faculty and staff may also call the number to discuss concerns they have about a student and talk through potential solutions and/or ways to support the student.

What is medical amnesty and how does it apply to students?

Medical amnesty is a practice that is applied to violations of campus alcohol or drug policies when a student’s health is concerned. In general terms, medical amnesty allows a student to call for help if they or another student is in need of medical care due to drug or alcohol consumption without fear that the college will take disciplinary action. For example, a student who is worried about a friend who has had too much to drink, but is under 21, might not want to call for help because they are worried that it will get their friend in trouble. Medical amnesty allows the student to get the necessary help without worrying about disciplinary consequences for themselves or their friend.

It is important to note that medical amnesty does not mean that a student will not be contacted about their alcohol or drug use. In fact, it is important to the college that educational follow up take place, especially in situations that have put a student at risk.

In addition, medical amnesty at Carleton does not protect a student from legal consequences if law enforcement is involved.

My student is concerned about a roommate/friend. What is the first step?

If your student is concerned about a roommate/friend and believes the situation is urgent, they should either call security (507-222-4444) or call the 24/7/365 counseling line (855-705-2479).

Another excellent option is for your student to talk with their RA. Their RA has been trained to help students who might be experiencing mental health concerns and to refer students to appropriate on-campus resources. An RA might also be able to help determine if the situation is urgent or not.

In most cases, if a student is concerned about their roommate or friend but don’t believe the situation to be urgent, the best approach is to fill out a community concern form. By doing this, someone from the Dean of Students Office will be alerted to the situation, and can then tap into the most appropriate resources on campus to address the situation.

What happens when I submit a Community Concern Form (CCF)?

Community Concern Form submissions are initially reviewed by the Dean of Students Office within 24-48 hours. Follow-up is made with the person who filled out the CCF (if you have checked the box on the form saying you’d like follow up).

Depending on the nature of the concern, various options exist:

  • More information is gathered about the person of concern/situation (other Faculty, Residential Life, etc.)
  • Resources are provided to the person who filled out the CCF in case they would like to handle the follow up
  • A conversation with the person of concern will likely happen, almost always after a check-in with the person who filled out the CCF
  • As needed, the CARE team will take up the concern, engaging a full range of longer term supports

What is the CARE team?

The CARE team is a standing committee tasked with reviewing students of concern and engaging in both short term and long term follow up. Members include staff from the Dean of Students Office, Residential Life, Security, and Student Health and Counseling.

How does a leave of absence (LOA) work?

Faculty and Staff may wish to refer students to the Dean of Students website, which provides information on the three forms of absences (medical, military service, and personal). There is also a roadmap to guide students through the process of requesting a leave of absence.

Additionally, Faculty and Staff may reach out to Sindy Fleming in the Dean of Students Office for guidance in communicating with students regarding leaves of absence.

How does a student request an academic accommodation?

The Disability Services website outlines the steps to request an academic accommodation. You can also find details on requesting housing and dining accommodations. Additional information on the site includes information on exam modifications, temporary disabilities, assistive technology, and more.