- Furniture such as chairs, sofas, personal mattresses, tables, etc. cannot be stored in the Student Storage facilities. Students should coordinate off-campus arrangements for these items.
- Each storage container MUST have a current storage sticker before being stored. Stickers are available for purchase at the Carleton Bookstore.
- Weekend storage appointment requests will not be granted. Students should suggest times between Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 4:00pm.
Storage Process Checklist
NOTE: All items being stored must have a current storage sticker which can be purchased from the Carleton Bookstore. Items with expired storage stickers will be donated to Lighten Up. Storage stickers expire annually in May and should be updated by purchasing new stickers from the Bookstore.
BEFORE YOU STORE YOUR ITEMS
- Purchase storage stickers for $10/sticker at the Carleton Bookstore. You will need a sticker per box/container/luggage/bike bag you plan to store.
TIP: Fill out the requested information on your storage stickers prior to arriving to storage. Adhere the storage stickers to the containers once you’ve stored your items on a shelf.
- View available Open Storage times which will be posted during standard Opening and Closing dates. Between these dates, use the scheduling form to schedule a storage appointment at least 48 hours in advance. Storage is not available on weekends or outside of regular business hours (M-F, 9:00am to 4:30pm).
- Check the “What Not to Store” List and make other arrangement for those items.
- Pack your belongings so you can store them safely (lightweight, wrap fragile items in newspaper, tape boxes closed, etc.)
ARRIVING AT THE STORAGE LOCATION
- Have all of the belongings you plan to store ready upon arriving to storage. If getting your items to a storage location will take more than one trip, plan to attend another posted Open Storage time.
TIP: During Spring Closing, we encourage students to store items as soon as possible to avoid long waiting times during Non-Senior Move-Out Day (June 7).
- Check-in with storage personnel.
- Pack your boxes closely next to other items to use the space efficiently.
- Adhere the storage stickers to the FRONT of your items so they are easily visible to storage personnel.
- Check-out with storage personnel. Staff will log your items and send a notification for you to reference upon returning to campus.
Student Storage FAQs
What items will not be accepted into student storage facilities?
Items being stored should be safely packed and enclosed into proper storage containers such as cardboard boxes, plastic totes, luggage bags, athletic or duffel bags, or backpacks.
Below is a list of items that will not be accepted into storage. This list is not exhaustive and discretion of whether an item may be accepten will be left to Residential Life professional staff members. If you have questions about a specific item please contact Residential Life prior to visiting storage.
- Couches/Sofa Chairs
- Entertainment centers
- Shelving units (3 tier plastic shelves are acceptable as long as they are securely taped closed)
- Tables; including game tables and end tables
- Items in plastic bags/garbage bags (see “Packing Tips” for exceptions)
- Loose items such as table lamps, fans, etc. must be in a box.
- Oddly shaped items such as bedrolls, instruments, athletic gear or equipment, area rugs, and floor lamps should be properly contained. Each item will need a current sticker and stored in designated open space between shelves (see “Packing Tips” for exceptions).
- Liquids (detergent, alcohol, etc.)
Visit the “Packing Tips” section for helpful strategies on how to prep bulky items for student storage.
Where can I store my bicycle?
There are multiple outdoor storage locations for bicycles which are free for students to use year round. Locations include Musser Hall and Goodhue Hall.
Limited indoor bike storage is available in James Hall and Goodhue Hall. Bikes stored indoors require a storage sticker which can be purchased at the Bookstore.
Why do storage stickers cost money?
Storage sticker sales are directly funneled back into essential maintenance and staffing of available storage facilities. Sticker sales also fund the costs of storage equipment such as carts and shelving.
Where are the available on-campus student storage locations?
There are 6 student storage locations on campus. Students need to complete a Storage Appointment Request form to gain access to storage or visit storage during posted Open Hours (available only during standard Opening and Closing dates). Visit the appointment form page to learn more about the process and to schedule an appointment.
When and where can I store my belongings at the end of the year?
The end of Spring Term is when the majority of students will need access to storage. Students will receive communication about available hours and locations via email in preparation for Spring Term Closing. Available hours and locations will also be posted on this page.
At the end of Spring Term, storage locations fill up quickly. Coordinate your travel plans well in advance to ensure you give yourself enough time to properly vacate your room and return your key, purchase storage stickers, and store your items prior to your departure.
Where do I store my items at the end of Fall or Winter term?
Between terms, you only need to add items to storage if you are:
- Participating in OCS
- Not returning to campus (Leave of Absence or Medical Leave of Absence)
- If you are changing rooms between terms and the room you are moving into is not available prior to Break.
Goodhue Storage Facility is available for students who need to store items at the end of Fall and Winter Term.
What is Early Arrival Storage?
Select groups of students are approved to arrive before the start of the next academic year. Groups such as Pre-Season Varsity Athletes, Peer Leaders, and approved student employees are invited to store their belongings in a specific area to ensure access upon returning to campus. Residential Life will communicate with those students prior to the end of Spring Term.
How do I renew my storage stickers if I am off campus when they expire?
Each item (box, storage container, bicycle, etc.) being stored MUST have a current storage sticker attached. Storage stickers can be purchased at the Bookstore for $10. Purchase your storage stickers prior to arriving to student storage to store your personal belongings.
You can work with a friend on campus to purchase stickers from the Bookstore and schedule a storage appointment to update the stickers.
Storage Personnel will audit each storage location at various times throughout the year. Items with expired storage stickers or improper labeling will be donated to Lighten Up.
How do I find a cart to help me move my items?
Residential Life has purchased a number of black vinyl laundry carts for students to use. Each cart has an ID tag on the handle with a Cart Number and a QR code for you to check the cart back in.
To find a cart, call 507.222.4072 between 9:00am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday. Our staff will help to locate a cart.
To properly return a cart, use the QR code on the cart handles to check it in. The check-in process allows carts to be an available resource for other students.
Helpful Packing Tips
Recommended Plastic Tote & Cardboard Box Dimensions
Dimensions listed below are not required to store items in the storage facilities. These suggestions are based on average storage shelf sizes as well as ensuring that students can safely transport their items.
Plastic Totes: As large as or smaller than 23X17X17inches (18 Gallon)
Cardboard Boxes: As large as or smaller than 18x18x18 inches
- Create a packing plan leading up to your departure date in order to give yourself enough time to pack safely and store your items in a facility prior to departing from campus.
- On each box, write a list of what items you’ve stored inside.
- Number your boxes.
- Pack similar items in the same box. Toiletries in one, kitchen items in another, room décor, etc.
Packing and Storing Bulky Items
- RUGS: roll up the rug and tape each end all the way around so it stays bound. Tape over the storage sticker as it will likely not adhere perfectly to the material. Store the rug upright in a corner or between storage shelves.
- BED ROLLS: roll up the bed roll and tape each end all the way around so it stays bound. Tape over the storage sticker as it will likely not adhere perfectly to the material. Store the bed roll above your boxes if there is extra space.
- SKIS: Tape the ends and middle of the skis so they are securely fastened together. Store the skis upright in a corner or in between storage shelves.
Linens and Essentials
Storage Hours are scheduled to accommodate as many students as possible. Students arriving late evenings or overnight will likely need to wait until the following day to access storage. For this reason, we encourage students to travel with their linens and essentials if possible.