We have a variety of sound system options for student use depending on your needs and type of event. Click on the option that best suits your needs for more information.
- Goodhue Rehearsal Room – For private rehearsals by individuals or student bands. Room is fully equipped with a PA system, mixer, drum set, keyboard, amplifiers, microphones, cords, etc. No equipment may leave the room. Maintained by the Student Activities Office. Located in the basement of Goodhue (024). Closes for the academic year on May 31, 2023.
- Traveling Performance Equipment – A PA system, mics, drum set, bass guitar, electric guitar, keyboard, and a variety of amplifiers are available for students bands to use for live performances. Maintained by the Student Band Union (SBU), which is a CSA student organization. Located in the lower level of Sayles (029B).
Goodhue Rehearsal Room
The purpose of the student band rehearsal room is to provide Carleton students a private space to further develop their musical skills outside the classroom. Access to the room is available to all students; enrollment in music courses is not required. The space is a 13’x17′ sound-insulated space equipped with various music equipment commonly used by live bands. The room is managed and maintained by the Student Activities Office (SAO). The project was funded by the Student Activities Office (SAO) and the Carleton Student Association (CSA).
Hours of Operation
- Daily, during academic term: 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m., through May 31, 2023 (electricity in room will automatically turn off at 10:00 p.m.)
- The room will be offline during large campus events, academic breaks, reading days, and exam days.
- Only approved students who have completed orientation may reserve and use the space
- Orientation sessions will be offered at the beginning of fall term and by appointment.
- Access will be granted via OneCard
- All non-Carleton guests must be accompanied at all times while in Goodhue. You are responsible for the actions of your guests.
- No food or beverages are permitted
- No smoking
- Equipment provided must not leave the room.
- Loss of access may occur if found responsible for the removal, damage, and/or misuse of the equipment. Fines may also be applied to student accounts
- There is equipment available for check-out (separate from the rehearsal room) that is maintained by the Student Band Union. See Student Band Equipment Reservation process below.
- Personal equipment and instruments may not be left in the room. Carleton College is not responsible for lost or damaged personal property.
- No practice can take place before or after hours of operation (10am-10pm)
- A student group/soloist may reserve the space for up to two 2-hour sessions per week
- Reservations are first-come first-serve for approved students
- The band room door needs to be closed any time an instrument is being played
- Close any doors nearby the practice room prior to rehearsal to help reduce noise throughout the building:
- This includes the hallway doors near the Hall Director Office and the door at the top of the stairwell leading up to the Goodhue Superlounge.
- Please complete the closing check-list (posted in the band room) at the end of your rehearsal time:
- Take out any trash
- Turn off equipment, including all amps, PA system, and lights
- Confirm that the air conditioning/heat temperature is set at 72⁰F (remote is located on the wall, near the drum set)
- Remove all personal equipment as you leave
- Report any missing/broken equipment to the Student Activities Office (email@example.com)
- Ensure the main door is closed securely and locked
- Rule of thumb: Leave the room in a better condition than you found it
These policies will be reviewed and updated regularly based on use and student feedback. Your input is welcome.
- Mackie SRM450 PA Speakers (2)
- Yamaha EMX512CS Powered Mixer
- Drum Set with Cymbals (bring your own sticks)
- Fender Mustang IV Guitar Amplifier
- Fender Champion 100 Watt Guitar Amplifier with (2) 12″ speakers
- Fender Rumble 350 Bass Amplifier
- Roland KC-550 180W Keyboard Amplifier
- Yamaha P-45 Keyboard with stand
- Microphones with stands
- Guitar Stands
- Music Stands
- Drummers: Bring your own drum sticks
- 1/8 inch Ipod/Computer cables
- 1/4 inch instrument cables
Student Band Union (SBU): Traveling Performance Equipment
- All equipment checked out must be returned in clean and working condition.
- Loss of access to space may occur if found responsible for the loss, damage and/or misuse of the equipment. Fines may also be applied to the students account(s).
- Students are responsible for arranging for transportation of the equipment if needed.
- All systems and/or accessories checked out require an agreement form to be completed on behalf of the student(s) that check out the system.
- All equipment must be returned in clean and working condition.
- Reservations are made on a first-come first-serve basis for student performances held on or off-campus
- Reservations for the Student Band Union (SBU) equipment can be made by filling out the following form (COMING SOON).
Inventory (Subject to Change)
- Behringer PA System: Eurolive B215D (2 Speakers with power cords)
- Yamaha EMX512SC Powered Mixer with power cord in rolling case
- Yamaha S115V PA Speakers (2)
- Microphones, Stands & Cables
- (3) Shure SM58 Microphones with clips, each in individual soft case
- (2) Shure SM 57 Microphones with clips, each in individual soft case
- (5), 25 ft Microphone Cables
- (5) Microphone Stands with Fixed Boom
- Acoustic B450 Bass Amplifier with power cord (purchased March 2013)
- Yamaha P-45 Keyboard
- Marshall MG102CFX Guitar Amplifier (purchased March 2013)
- Roland KC-350 Keyboard Amplifier
- Marshall Series 100 DFX Guitar Amplifier
- Ampeq Bass Amplifier
- Gretsch Catalina Birch Drumset (Stored in hard cases)
- 2 Mounted Tom-tom
- Snare Drum
- Floor Tom
- Bass Drum
- Zildjian A Custom Brilliant Finish Cymbals (Stored in a hard case)
- High Hat Cymbal
- 16 inch Crash Cymbal
- 18 inch Crash Cymbal
- 20 inch Medium Ride Cymbal
- High-hat Stand
- Rack mount/Tom Mount
- Floor Tom Legs
- Straight Gibraltar Cymbal Stand
- Snare Drum Stand
- Bass Drum Foot Pedal (single)
- Drummer Crash Pad
- We DO NOT have lights, disco balls, or strobe lights available for check-out
- We DO NOT have fog machines available. They should never be used in any College facility (except for Cowling Gymnasium) as they may set off the fire alarm.
The Presentation, Events, and Production Support (PEPS) office also has a variety of systems and support resources available for student events.