Below are some resources on how to change your name at Carleton, in the state of Minnesota, and on other forms of ID.

Changing Your Chosen Name

You may change your chosen name, which is what appears on class rosters, as well as on the directory. Just send an email to to request that change.

Changing Your Legal Name

If you’d like to change your legal name, you’ll need to provide the Registrar’s Office with documentation of the new legal name in the form of a court order.

Once the name change decree is received, we will update your official academic record with your new name. 

Changing Your Diploma Name

As you get ready for commencement, the Registrar’s Office will send you a commencement checklist, which includes verifying your diploma name. Your transcript must print your legal name, but you are able to update the first and middle name that appears on the diploma and in the program for commencement.

Please contact with any questions about your diploma name.

Changing Your Name in Other Areas of Carleton

To change your name on your OneCard, please contact

To change your name on your student mailbox, please contact Mail Services to request that your preferred name be used.

To change your email address and username, email Les LaCroix.

Additional Resources

The Gender and Sexuality Center has a wonderful resource page on how to legally change your name in Minnesota, on government forms of ID (such as passports), and information for announcing your name change.