Common Questions about the Public Works Initiative

What type of funding can I ask for?

  • Summer or Winter-Break Stipends for course development, partnership development, or public dissemination of work related to the Public Works initiative
  • Funding to organize or attend a workshop on campus or elsewhere
  • Funding for student researchers
  • Funding for travel
  • Funding for training in digital, or public scholarship methods

How much money should I ask for?

  • Directors and participants in any of the activities described below can receive stipends of $600 per week of full-time work up to a maximum of $3,600 (please note that stipends are taxable). Generally, grants of $1,200 (two weeks’ support) will be available for individual course revisions; larger sums may be requested for development of new courses. Small sums for other expenses can also be provided (please note how much of your request is for expenses). The total grant may be larger than $3,000 for group applications.
  • Travel Support should cover transportation and living expenses at a reasonable rate for faculty, students or community partners; you can apply to bring partners to campus, or to travel yourself to a community partnership site.
  • Training Grants – faculty may apply for funds to pay for the cost of training in key technologies or methodologies from experts outside of the college. For example, the cost of a Digital Humanities workshop, including travel and living expenses. Faculty can apply to fund student and staff partners as well.
  • External Consultants/Visiting Artists and Scholars – modest stipends (up to $1,000.) can be requested to bring experts to campus, as well as transportation and on campus housing. Please note international visitors are taxed according to foreign tax laws. The amount you request should include this tax.
  • Reading groups – the grant can support the purchase of books and materials
  • Teaching cohorts – funding is available to support faculty teaching/learning cohorts related to working with diverse communities at $120 per day per faculty member.
  • Workshops – daily stipends of $120 for faculty members participating in winter- and summer-break workshops, the purchase of books and materials, and modest stipends for paid consultants
  • Student Assistants – standard student stipends ($10.75 per hour, can be requested in 1-8 week increments), plus the cost of technical training, travel with or without faculty, and additional staff support (including travel). May be requested for break or for term work up to 10 hours per week for the latter.
  • Student Research Partners – In order to receive this funding ($11.75 per hour, up to ten weeks in summer or three weeks in winter break), faculty members must commit to carefully mentor students during this time, so that students develop the capacity for independent research. The collaboration should enable the student to make an original contribution to the faculty member’s research or creative project. Such projects should also involve regular, substantive faculty-student contact.
  • Course Releases for faculty – these will only be given to support major, sustainable, long-term projects, usually involving a group of faculty. (In the language of the budget narrative of the grant: “In order to incentivize and provide time for development of more ambitious partnerships and projects, the budget line will fund course release time for a faculty member to undertake leadership in such a project (e.g., $600 x 10 weeks, $6,000, with the balance of the course-release expense as College cost-share).”
  • Arts Residencies – should be determined in consultation with Steve Richardson and/or the members of the Oversight Committee.

How will I receive the funds if awarded a grant?

  • Stipends for faculty will be issued in two parts, with half given when the grant is awarded and half when the Reporting Form is complete.
  • Travel grants will be coordinated with Terra LaChance, Administrative Assistant for the Public Works Initiative. Carleton purchasing cards should be used whenever possible so that funds can be charged directly to the Initiative. Travel reimbursements will be issued for actual costs and any unused funds will be returned to the Initiative. 
  • Funds for student researchers will be handled through the Student Financial Aid office. Any unused funds will be returned to the Public Works Initiative.
  • Stipends for speakers and residencies will be paid directly to recipients with coordination with Susannah Ottaway and Kelly Connole, Co-directors.

What is the selection criteria?

  • The Mellon Public Works Advisory Committee will meet to award all grants.
  • Proposals will be selected on the basis of the proposed project’s:
    • fit within the goals and objectives of the Mellon Public Works Initiative
    • intellectual or pedagogical significance
    • realistic timetable and goals
    • clarity of purpose and audience
  • After the first year, some preference may be given to those who have not previously applied for funding from the initiative

Can I apply if I’m visiting faculty?

  • Yes, you are welcome to apply but a strong proposal should demonstrate how your project is connected to a continuing faculty member or department so that the project may live on beyond your time at Carleton.

If I’ve already received funding, can I reapply?

  • Yes, but if we have not received your final grant report or proper receipt documentation, you will not be considered.

What if my proposal falls outside of the regular funding cycle?

I still have questions. What should I do?