Minnesota Children’s Hospital PICU is hiring for a QSA position in the coming months. We are now accepting applications until February 24, 2023. The QSA position is a perfect gap year opportunity for pre-health students that provides valuable exposure to a team-based health care setting.
The QSA program supports quality improvement projects in the critical care units of Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota. This position is intentionally designed for pre-health students seeking a gap year opportunity. Now in its ninth year, the program covers both the Pediatric Intensive Care Units (PICUs) at the Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses.
QSAs have a variety of responsibilities, including:
- Conducting daily Incident Rounds with nurses and documenting quality/safety issues
- Reviewing patient charts and abstracting relevant data
- Maintaining the QSA database of patient characteristics, interventions, and outcomes
- Producing quality metric reports
- Providing analytical support for providers’ quality improvement projects
- Opportunity to work with an intensivist to author a medical case report
Although this position does not include direct patient contact, it provides valuable exposure to a team-based healthcare setting. QSAs also enjoy a wealth of learning opportunities, including participating in team rounds, attending case conferences, attending grand rounds, working with the Quality and Patient Safety Team and other teams throughout the hospital, and more. QSAs work closely with a wide variety of clinicians and enjoy valuable mentoring opportunities.
- Strong interest in clinical medicine
- Bachelor’s degree (any major)
- Pre-health coursework and basic understanding of statistics
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and willingness to work in a complex work environment
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, take ownership of individual projects, and successfully manage projects to completion
- Strong computer skills including skills in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Commitment to maintaining patient confidentiality
- 6:30 am – 2:30 pm Monday through Friday, with flexibility to attend occasional meetings after these hours
- Every other weekend work remotely (~3-4 hours per work weekend)
- Position does not exceed 80 hours per two week pay period
- Approximately 4 weeks of training with the preceding QSAs and the Quality Safety Officers (QSOs). This training will include introductions to nursing and physician personnel as well as training with the Electronic Medical Record system, QSA data base, and HIPAA compliance.
Pay and Benefits
- Base wage of $16/hour, with Paid Time Off (PTO) earned during every pay period
- Health, dental, life, and disability insurance (if waived, base wage is ~$19/hr)
- Free on-site parking
PICU Quality Safety Officers / PICU Intensivist Erik Mikkelsen, M.D.
- Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota
- Minneapolis and St. Paul Pediatric Intensive Care Units (PICUs)
- Commuting between campuses is required
Instructions for Applicants
- In order to apply for the Quality/Safety Analyst (QSA) position, qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, academic transcript (official or unofficial), and two letters of recommendation.
- It is recommended that applicants have an interest in entering a pre-health related field
- All materials should be emailed to QSAchildrenshospital@gmail.com
- Please send cover letter and resume in .doc or .docx form. Do NOT send them as PDFs
- Applicants should express why they are applying and why they would be a good fit for the position in their cover letter
- Applications are not reviewed on a rolling basis; the application deadline for all materials is 02/24/2023
- If you have any questions about the application, please email email@example.com — please email at this email once you have submitted your application materials to confirm that they’ve been received.
Application and Hiring Timeline
- Cover letter, resume, and transcript (official or unofficial): Due 02/24/2023
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Due 02/24/2023
- Informal Zoom Interview with a current QSA: Notified by 02/28/2023
- In-person interview (with current QSAs and QSOs): Notified by 03/14/2023
- QSA positions offered: Late March 2023
- Position start date: 06/01/2023