Please be aware that the class schedule on the opening day of classes in the fall is very different because of Opening Convocation in the afternoon. Check your Carleton email for opening day class schedule.
- Four (4) terms of physical education are required for graduation. It is strongly recommended that students complete this requirement by the end of their sophomore year.
- Four (4) PE credits may be earned for participation on a club sport team that meets the requirements stipulated by the department. See Club Sports for eligible club sports. Club sport athletes can only receive one PE credit for each year of participation.
- Classes conclude at the end of 9th week and must offer 18 total classes (most classes are offered twice a week for 9 weeks; some classes are offered 3 days a week for 6 weeks).
- Students are only allowed to miss 2 classes out of the 18 to receive credit.
- Taking attendance is required for credit/no credit classes.
- Priority for scheduling of class space and time follows seniority within the department.
- If there are fewer than five people in a class then the class can be canceled at the instructor’s discretion.
- Instructors may list their class as “freshman only” or “women only” in certain situations.
- Grading is done by the faculty member at the end of every term and submitted online on The HUB. Student instructors, see “Student Instructors” section below for grading.
- Head coaches give their varsity athletes credit (S) or no credit (N) grades on the HUB at the end of the term when their season is complete. Varsity athletes can receive one PE credit for each year.
- Students are only allowed to get credit for one PE class per term, unless they petition the PEAR department chair and receive approval.
- Students who are physically unable to participate in or finish class because of an injury, should contact the PEAR department chair for further requirements.
Class rosters for faculty-taught classes can be found on The HUB and on Moodle.
If you like to track class attendance, use the PE class roster and attendance form.
- Current course offerings can be found on the Registrar’s website.
- A complete list of PE course offerings can be found on the Courses page.
- Class rosters can be found on the Hub or on Moodle.