- “The Ballads of Marvin Gaye,” Journal of the American Musicological Society 72, no. 2 (2019): 313-361.
- “Marvin Gaye Live” (2019) (GIS mapping site)
- “Liveness and the Grateful Dead,” American Music 37, no. 2 (2019): 123-145.
- What’s That Sound: An Introduction to Rock and its History, 5th edition, co-authored with John Covach (New York: W.W. Norton, 2018).
- I Hear a Symphony: Motown and Crossover R&B (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2017).
- “Fandom and Ontology in the Beach Boys’ Smile,” in Philip Lambert, ed., Good Vibrations: Critical Perspectives on the Music of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2016), 215-41.
- “Rock Narratives and Teaching Popular Music: Audiences and Critical Issues,” Journal of Music History Pedagogy (Vol. 5, No. 1, Fall 2014).
- “Marvin Gaye as Vocal Composer,” in Sounding out Pop: Analytical Essays in Popular Music, ed. John Covach and Mark Spicer (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2010), 63-98.
- “The Sound of Young America,” co-authored with Harry Weinger, essay included in Motown Around the World (Motown/Hip-O Select B0013187, 2010).
- “Mercy, Mercy Me,” essay included in The Complete Motown Singles, vol. 11a (Motown/Hip-O Select B0011579-02, 2008).
- “Remember How You Got Where You Are,” essay included in The Complete Motown Singles, vol. 11b (Motown/Hip-O Select B0012227-02, 2009).
- Co-producer, audio production, annotation: 1969 Motown iTunes End-Of-Year Collection, Universal Music Enterprises (2019). Streaming.
- Producer, mixing, annotation: Marvin Gaye, A Tribute to the Great Nat King Cole (Expanded Edition), Universal Music Enterprises (2019). Streaming.
- Production, annotation: Marvin Gaye, 1965 iTunes End-Of-Year Collection, Universal Music Enterprises (December 2015). Streaming.
- Co-producer, audio production, annotation, essay author: Marvin Gaye, Trouble Man [Expanded Edition] (Motown/Hip-O Select, B0017676, 2012). CD. Notes
Lectures and Interviews
- “The Artistry of ‘Sometimes it Snows in April’” at the University of Minnesota, Prince From Minneapolis Conference
- “Reissuing Marvin: Musicology and the Modern Expanded Edition” lecture given at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame [Amerigo’ Gazaway’s remix]
- Marvin Gaye and Motown Commons (research document clearinghouse)
- BBC interview about Paisley Park
- Podcast interview with Nate Wilcox, “Let It Roll”
- Blog interview with I. Augustus Durham, IASPM US Interview Series
- Alumni conversations lecture for Carleton Connects lecture program