Most typically, CSA Senate reimburses organizations and individuals for inexpensive items through a reimbursement process. For assistance with purchasing or completing reimbursements on Workday, please schedule an appointment with Cathy Osterman, the Student Activities Coordinator.
Organizations (inexpensive items):
- A group member pays the initial cost for the item with personal funds.
- The club individual whose personal funds were used for the purchase fills out an expense report in Work Day with the name of the group member, the actual receipt and other information (Please make sure any receipts uploaded to Work Day are in PDF or JPEG format)
- The CSA Treasurer checks the expense report, and, after emailing the club treasurer (or president) any questions, approves it.
- The SAO Director checks the expense report and approves it.
- The Business Office processes the expense report.
- The group member receives money in their back account.
Individuals (inexpensive items):
- An individual pays the initial cost for the item with personal funds.
- The individual fills out an expense report in Workday under their account with the actual receipt (attached as a PDF or JPEG) and other information.
- The CSA Treasurer checks the expense report and after emailing the individual any questions, approves it.
- The SAO Director checks the expense report and approves it or sends it back with notes in the comments with edits that need to be made. It is the responsibility of the individual looking to be reimbursed to make necessary edits to their expense report as outlined in the comments.
- The Business Office processes the expense report once approved by the SAO Director.
- The individual receives money in their back account.
Organizations/Individuals (expensive items):
- Club treasurer (or club president or individual) emails SAO staff with a link to the item.
- The SAO staff purchases the item with the SAO credit card with money from the club’s account (or the Senate account in the case of individuals).
- If an electronic itemized receipt or invoice isn’t provided to SAO staff upon purchasing, it is the club or organization’s responsibility to provide SAO with a receipt that they obtain while picking up the order.
- Please do not expect to be reimbursed immediately. The reimbursement process takes one to two weeks from the time the CSA Treasurer receives the expense report (sometimes longer).
- It is very important to attach the original receipt (PDF or JPEG only) and have the treasurer of your organization approve the payment before submitting your expense report. Please note: signed credit card receipts (without items listed) are not acceptable. The receipt must clearly detail what was purchased and the individual prices – this is most often an issue with meals.
- Reimbursement submission is required within 60 days of expense (or trip) per IRS guidelines. (Reference publication 463).
- If you need to pay someone upon delivery of a service (a performer, a rental company, etc.), please obtain an invoice and completed W9 form from them one week prior to the delivery. Lee Clark from the SAO office deals specifically with these contracts. Contracts must be signed one week prior to the event. Please plan to meet with an SAO professional staff member if you are working with any professional service vendors (entertainers, local businesses, musicians, catering, etc.)
- Even if your organization has already purchased items, Senate cannot reimburse purchases that violate bylaws. Senate does not distribute funds to groups or individuals retroactively. Funds must be requested well in advance.
- Senate cannot reimburse items more than the amount in a club’s account (or explicitly approved for the expense).
- Please email the CSA Treasurer before buying items if you have any questions.