Health Insurance for Carleton Programs
All students on Carleton programs receive international health insurance and medical, security, and travel assistance coverage through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). Insurance is provided for the program dates only, but you can purchase coverage for personal travel days on the CISI portal. While CISI is your primary insurer while you are abroad, you should retain health insurance in the United States or your home country in case of an emergency where you would need to return home.
If the study abroad is within the United States, students will not be enrolled in the CISI international travel insurance. They will have to maintain the regular insurance they have when they are on campus.
Health Insurance for Non-Carleton Programs
Check with your program provider to see what insurance/travel assistance is included and/or recommended. Here are some questions to ask your insurance provider to determine how well you are covered overseas:
- Are you covered abroad? At the limits suggested below or better?
- Does your coverage include mental health services?
- In the places where you are traveling, are some hospitals or doctors in-network and some out-of-network? Which ones?
- Do you need to submit your insurance card at the time of service, or do you pay up front and submit a claim for reimbursement later?
- Do you need to call your insurance company before being treated at a foreign hospital or clinic?
Suggested Coverage Limits
Suggested limits for international insurance coverage from Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
- Medical Expense (per Accident or Sickness), Deductible Zero, Limit $100,000 at 100%
- Unlimited Lifetime Maximum
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment $10,000
- Medical Evacuation $100,000
- Repatriation/Return of Mortal Remains $50,000
- Emergency Medical Reunion $2,500
- Security Evacuation Rider $100,000
If you are required to provide your own insurance or determine that the coverage provided by the program is inadequate, you may buy into Carleton’s policy with CISI (at your own expense) or another international policy through CISI, HTH Worldwide (GeoBlue), or iNext. Contact OCS for directions on how to sign up for Carleton’s CISI policy.