Carleton News is a product of the Office of College Communications, which oversees all communications efforts on behalf of Carleton and is part of the External Relations division. We share news and achievements through traditional and social media channels to increase Carleton’s visibility and share key messages with a broad external audience.
Reach us at email@example.com.
Work With Us
For students who are interested in communications, journalism, photography or videography, College Communications offers the opportunity to work in a professional atmosphere, develop a portfolio, and gain valuable skills by helping to tell stories about Carleton and its people and programs to the general public. As a student employee on our team, you can enhance your journalistic storytelling skills and develop a more focused news sense.
Our student staff members are responsible for discovering and producing newsworthy stories about Carleton faculty, students and programs. Student-produced stories, photos and videos help promote student and faculty accomplishments, and general activity at the college. Many of the stories on this site are the result of student work.
If you are a current Carleton student (or soon to be one) and are interested in working with us, please contact News & Social Media Manager Sarah Jirak.
Pitch a Story
Do you have an idea for a Carleton-related story that might interest a public audience? Tell us about it!
Share Student Achievements on Merit
We use Merit to promote student achievements through their hometown media outlets.
How Does Merit Work?
- Students participate in clubs, varsity athletics and other extra-curricular activities, as well as earn academic achievements (Dean’s List, fellowships, scholarships, etc.).
- College Communications receive a list of students who participate in these activities and earn these types of academic achievements.
- An article is published to each student’s Merit page, and their hometown media are also notified of the achievement.
- Students and parents receive an email announcing the awarding of a Merit badge; Badges can be shared on social media.
Why Use Merit?
- Merit allows Carleton to keep hometown media apprised of your good work at Carleton. Those students and parents who chose to share these achievements on social media also help spread the word about all the great things happening at Carleton, assisting in our efforts to make Carleton a “top of mind” name recognition for future students and future employers.
- Merit helps employers find the “good stuff” about Carleton students, and it recognizes accomplishments with official college badges that show they’re authentic.
- A Merit page creates a positive online identity for post-graduation success. Many companies now research applicants online, and some have rejected applicants based on what they find. A Merit page is a way for you to shine online.
- Merit pages are customizable, allowing non-Carleton experiences to become part of your online Merit profile.
How Do I Participate?
- All students who haven’t opted out of receiving publicity are invited to claim their Merit page in the fall of their first year.
- To opt out of the program, fill out the online form.