Here you will find the answers to some of the Music Department’s most frequently asked questions. If your questions are not answered here, please contact Diane Fredrickson (507-222-6034) or contact the current Student Departmental Adviser(s).

How do I register for classroom Music courses?

On the Hub, just like you would for any other classroom course.

Where can I see the list of classroom Music courses offered?

On the Classroom Courses page.

Does the Music Department loan or rent our instruments?

The Music Department has a collection of band, orchestra, folk and non-western instruments available for loan to students registered in ensembles and music lessons.

Band/Orchestra Instruments: The Ensemble Library has a limited number of instruments available free of charge on a first-come-first-serve basis. Loan terms are either for a term or for the academic year. To check out an instrument, or if you have further questions, contact the Ensemble Library (507-222-6034, Weitz M039).

Non-Portable Band/Orchestra Instruments, Keyboards, Non-Western Instruments: Large non-portable instruments like drums and harps, non-western instruments like African drums and sitars, and keyboards like pianos and harpsichords do not leave the rooms they are stored in. Students enrolled in ensembles and lessons that use these instruments will gain access to these rooms during the term.

Folk Instruments: The Music Resource Center (MRC) loans out folk instruments (acoustic guitars, classical guitars, ukuleles, fiddle, mandolin, banjo, kalimbas). Students use their OneCard to check out the instruments for a 4-hour loan period on their library account. The MRC is located in Weitz 148, by the Cinema on the far west side of the building.

How do I register for applied music lessons?

Registering for applied music lessons is a two-step process

  • First, register for lessons the way you would for any other class. 100-level courses entail nine half-hour lessons for one credit. 200-level courses entail nine one-hour lessons for two credits. Note: Permission of the instructor is required for registration for two-credit lessons.
  • Second, fill out a class schedule form, available on the Applied Music page or in a box outside of Weitz 125.
    • It’s important that you mark all your weekly classes and conflicts, including work and extracurricular activities. Your lesson will be scheduled around your classes. We also try to avoid other conflicts on your schedule, however, sometimes your work schedule may need to be adjusted. 
    • Return the form (in person or via email) to your instructor! This form is needed so that your lesson time doesn’t conflict with your classes.

Before or during the first week of the term, you’ll receive a notice of your lesson day, time and instructor in your campus mailbox or via email. Lessons usually begin the first week of the term. If your schedule has changed and you need to move your lesson, please consult your instructor. In some cases, you’ll be asked to sign up for a lesson time yourself. In that case, your instructor will contact you and give you the details.

For some lessons, such as voice and piano, an initial audition/placement appointment may be required. Students of all levels are encouraged to study privately at Carleton, but the audition/placement appointment is useful for the voice and piano faculty to assign you to an instructor and get a feel for your level of experience. For other popular instruments, a wait list may be in effect. You’ll be contacted by the Department or the instructor with more information if this is the case.

I’m a beginner and haven’t studied any voice or instrument. Can I still take lessons?

Absolutely! All you need to do is register for any one-credit applied music course.

Can I still register for music lessons if I’m also registered for three six-credit classes?

Absolutely. You are allowed to register for one-credit or two-credit (with instructor permission) lessons in addition to three six-credit classes, regardless of class year.

If one of my three six-credit classes is a Music course, can I still register for lessons?

Absolutely. Many students taking music lessons, in addition to their three six-credit courses, also participate in an ensemble.

How do I apply for financial aid for music lessons?

Financial assistance requests must be submitted to the Office of Student Financial Aid. Use the “Request for Assistance with Music Lessons” form or contact SFA staff for information if the form is offline.

Where can I store my instrument?

Storage lockers/space are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and may be checked out from the Ensemble Library. The Ensemble Library assigns storage space in Weitz M039. Contact a Student Departmental Adviser for a locker number and combination. Many students use these lockers, while others choose to keep their smaller instruments in their rooms.

Can I submit a sample of my work along with my application for admission?

Carleton recognizes achievement in the arts and encourages students competent in them to submit recordings, or other evidence of their work, with their application for admission. Please include the name of the applicant, the instrument, the titles of the compositions, and whether or not the student has composed or arranged any of the compositions.