Hannah Schendel, conductor
MUSC 187 – 1 credit per term; S/CR/NC; Arts Practice
Rehearsals: Monday (Strings), Tuesday (Winds and Brass), Thursday (Full Ensemble)
6:30-8:00 p.m. (Kracum Performance Hall)
The Carleton Orchestra performs varied repertoire ranging from the 18th to the 20th centuries. Recent performances have included Beethoven’s Symphony No. 2, Lutoslawski’s Concerto for Orchestra, and Tchaikovsky’s Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture. Placement by audition.
New Student Week Orchestra and Private String Placement
Friday, Sept. 8, 1:30–4:00 pm Kracum Performance Hall (Winds, Brass, Percussion)
Saturday, Sept. 9, 12:00–4:00 pm Kracum Performance Hall (Strings )
Placement into the orchestra and also private string lessons may be done in person during New Student Week, or by video submission at any time. Sign up for an in-person audition. To arrange a video audition please contact Hannah Schendel for details.
Please prepare to perform 4 things:
- Solo of your choice (any piece of music, may only be an excerpt)
- Audition excerpts (shown on right. No excerpts required for harp or percussion)
- Scales as follows (No scales required for harp or percussion)
SCALES FOR VIOLIN, VIOLA, CELLO, STRING BASS
- Scales: Three octave, ascending & descending, major or melodic minor scale up to three sharps or three flats
SCALES FOR FLUTE, OBOE, CLARINET, FRENCH HORN, BASSOON, TRUMPET, TROMBONE, BASS TROMBONE, TUBA
- Scales: Two octave chromatic scale from the bottom of your range to the top & back down; also two octave major or melodic minor scale up to three sharps or three flats
Auditions usually take about 10 minutes, and we try to make these as informal and “user friendly” as possible. Still, good preparation always makes for a less-stressful audition experience, so we encourage you to come prepared!