The Boyd-Niles Student Travel Fellowship was established to recognize Catherine Boyd and Philip Niles, two great professors of medieval and Renaissance history at Carleton. The fellowship is intended to allow students already studying abroad to pursue additional site visits or experiences that will enhance their understanding of the world between ca. 300 and ca. 1700. Experiences can focus on all parts of the world covered by the program (Europe, the Mediterranean basin, Middle East, Central and East Asia, and Latin America).
Each year fellowships of up to $500 will be awarded to students who propose compelling site visits or experiences that will enhance their understanding any aspect of this period. The Program invites applications three times a year: in Fall (for Winter OCS programs); in Winter (for Spring OCS programs); and in Spring (for Summer and Fall OCS programs). Students receiving the prize will be expected to bring their experience back to campus in some meaningful way.
Students pursuing both Carleton and non-Carleton OCS programs will be considered, and applicants do not have to be MARS minors to be considered (though engagement with the program may be a factor in proposal evaluation).
Applications should contain:
A. Project Description that details:
- The focus of the project
- Project budget (with detail)
- The benefit for the student: how does this fit into their broader program of study at Carleton or develop particular interests? How will it be related to their OCS program (e.g., will they pursue the experience before, during, and/or after the program)?
- The proposed “bring back” for the campus community, for example, a public talk or participation in a campus-wide poster session.
B. A current CV or Résumé
- Language ability or other background related to project is particularly useful.
C. Unofficial Transcript
Deadlines for submission:
- Fall submission (for Winter programs): Tuesday, October 18, 2022.
- Winter submission (for Spring programs): Tuesday, February 14, 2023.
- Spring submission (for Summer and Fall programs): Tuesday, May 2, 2023.
Fellowship Application Form
- Please complete the online form and upload the necessary documents.
- The selection committee will evaluate proposals on the basis of quality, relevance to students’ interests and goals, and student need.