The Carleton Mathematics department offers two options within the major, Mathematics or Statistics which are designed to reflect the depth and diversity of modern mathematics or statistics. We seek to provide you with an accurate picture of the nature of mathematics or statistics itself, its applications, and its connections to other disciplines.
Through our courses, seminars, colloquia, and other activities, mathematics majors will:
- Learn a broad range of mathematical topics
- Lncrease your ability to read and write mathematical proofs
- Become a competent mathematical problem solver
- Be exposed to the mathematical literature available in our excellent library
- Learn how mathematics or statistics is applied to real problems
- Become aware of the connections between the various branches of mathematics, and between mathematics and other disciplines
Students majoring in statistics will:
- Learn how to model real-world problems
- See how statistics is applied in different fields
- Gain experience with statistical software
In addition to coursework, majors are required to (a) complete the senior integrative exercise and (b) accumulate a total of eight talk-credits during the junior and senior years by attending the comps talks of their colleagues. We also encourage our majors to participate in the numerous activities that take place around the department.