There are many opportunities to enhance and enrich your mathematics, statistics and data science education outside of the classroom. Popular sites for finding a summer internship or research opportunities are provided below along with a sample of some specific research and internship opportunities. You should also watch for more information in the Gazette and our Opportunities News Feed.
Research and Internship Opportunities
- Big Data Summer Institute in Biostatistics (BDSI) is a six-week interdisciplinary training and research program at the University of Michigan School of Public Health.
- National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates (NSF REU) in mathematical sciences (including statistics). NSF funded REUs are usually 8-10 week research experiences for undergrads to work with math or stat faculty at colleges and universities around the US. Most of these NSF funded programs are not available to international students, but international students can use Kolenkow-Reitz fellowships to support work in an NSF REU program (if the specific program agrees to the arrangement).
- American Mathematical Society (AMS) internship list and REU list. This REU list should contain a mix of NSF and non-NSF sponsored REU programs.
- American Statistical Association internships and fellowships
- Pathways to Science
- SciTechsperience Internship Program is a state-funded program that connects college STEM majors to paid internships at small to medium-sized companies across the state of Minnesota.
- Carleton College Career Center
- Sandia National Laboratories (SNL)
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) is a National Institute of Standards and Technology’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship program designed to encourage students to pursue STEM careers
- Research in Industrial Projects for Students (RIPS) is hosted by the Institute for Pure & Applied Mathematics (IPAM) at UCLA and focuses on research on real-world industry and public sector problems.
- National Opinion Research Center (NORC) is located at the University of Chicago and provides internships for students interested the application of statistics to social science research.
- Mayo Clinic has internships in Biomedical Statistics and Informatics.
- The US Census Bureau has internships for statistics and mathematics majors.
- Carleton College Kolenkow-Reitz Fellowships. These fellowships provide research support to students working with non-Carleton science and math faculty at another institution during the summer or over winter break.
- Carleton College Summer Science Fellowships. These fellowships are aimed at students from historically underrepresented groups in the sciences. This source of summer funding can be used at Carleton or to support research at a different institution.
- Carleton College Office of Student Fellowships
- Summer Teaching Fellowship with Breakthrough Twin Cities