What can I do with a Math or Stats Major?
Recent math and stat majors have found careers in a wide variety of fields. Here are some resources to help you in your post-Carleton career search.
- Careers in Applied Mathematics and Computational Science from the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- Career and Employment Resources for Mathematics Students from the Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
- Information on careers in Statistics from the American Statistical Association (ASA)
- Carleton College Career Center
More information about
- Actuarial Sciences by the Society of Actuaries
- Industrial and Systems Engineering (IIE)
- Operations Research from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
Some examples of career opportunities
This list is not meant to be an exhaustive one, but rather, it is intended to give you an idea of the range and diversity of opportunities available in mathematics and statistics.
- Southern Teachers Agency. This is a premier placement service for private school teacher jobs in the South.
- Research Analyst, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- RTI International a non-profit corporation with consulting groups that work in areas such as economic and social research and research on environmental issues. RTI utilizes statistics in their research.
- Educational Testing Service, developers of the SAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL exams. They hire people trained in psychometrics and education measurement analysis.
- Center for Statistics and the Social Sciences, University of Washington