Carleton mathematics and statistics students are actively involved in the Carleton and Northfield communities. These activities might arise through senior comps, summer research or a mathematics or statistics course.
Carleton students, under the supervision of statistics faculty, offer their services as statistical consultants to local businesses and non-profit institutions. This statistical consulting course is open to students who have taken applied regression analysis and is not limited to majors.
Some of the clients who have used our services include:
- Northfield Public Schools
- Hennepin County
- Faribault United Way
- HealthFinders Collaborative
- Local Harvest
If you have data that you would like analyzed, or are interested in designing and conducting a study or survey, please fill out this request form or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Students interested in mathematics education have the opportunity to engage with schools and community organizations in the Northfield area.
- Challenge Math Curriculum: Carleton students have been involved writing a large collection of lesson plans for teachers, parents, or volunteers to use to provide enrichment activities for elementary students interested in mathematics.
- The Arcadia Project: Carleton students have created short projects for middle- or high-school students to use on their own for mathematical explorations.
- GED Math Resource: Carleton students designed a collection of worksheets and related videos to help adult learners studying for the math portion of the GED exam.
- Bar Modeling: Adventures in Algebra: Carleton students created a workbook to teach algebra based on the technique of bar modeling.
- Math Circle at the Northfield Middle School: Carleton students designed and ran a Math Circle for sixth graders at the Northfield Middle School.
Other community projects
- Faribault Woolen Mill: For a senior comps project, statistics students designed a study, then collected and analyzed data on the effect of spinning machine speed on yarn.
- Students have collaborated with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency on comps projects and in conjunction with statistical consulting.