Creating a sense of belonging for all students ties together many of the recommendations for equitable, inclusive teaching. Belonging is shaped by the content of a course (whose voices are included as authorities, for example) and by the course design (like clarity and transparency of expectations). However, the “climate” in the classroom is also central. Do all students feel welcome, accepted, and like their ideas will be heard? Do they all know what support is available to them and how to access it?
Some of the approaches to fostering a sense of belonging include understanding how to work against stereotype threat, embracing students’ strengths and capabilities, and knowing how to address challenging classroom moments supportively.
Key Carleton Resources
Building Trust in the Classroom LTC Lunch video 9/20/2022
New Research on Students’ Sense of Belonging at Carleton LTC Lunch video 2/1/2022
What Supports Students LTC Lunch video 11/10/2020
Early Interventions LTC Lunch video 1/28/2020
The Role of the Imposter in Ethnic Minority Student Achievement LTC Lunch video 5/16/2019
The Student View of Faculty Approachability LTC Lunch video 4/10/2018
Course Evaluations LTC Resource webpage
Materials from other Colleges, Universities, and Organizations
- Increasing Inclusivity in the Classroom from Vanderbilt University has many useful resources and a section on reducing stereotype threat.
- Columbia University Guide to Inclusive Teaching
- Navigating Heated, Offensive, and Tense (HOT) Moments in the Classroom from Columbia Center for Teaching and Learning
- ACM Anti-Racism Workshops. See especially Mesmin Destin’s presentation from January 2021 on “Creating Effective Systems of Support for Historically Marginalized Students”
- “Academic Belonging” is a term used by Michigan CRLT to speak about students’ ability to see themselves as part of a discipline or profession
- 140: What Inclusive Instructors Do with Dr. Tracie Addy – YouTube video
- Addy, Tracie Marcella, et al. What Inclusive Instructors Do: Principles and Practices for Excellence in College Teaching. Bloomfield: Stylus Publishing, 2021.
- Oleson, Kathryn C. Promoting Inclusive Classroom Dynamics in Higher Education. Bloomfield: Stylus Publishing, 2021.