Did you know?
- With approximately 144 million native speakers, Russian ranks eighth in the list of most-spoken world languages. It is the official language of the Russian Federation, and the native language of sizable minorities in the other fourteen former Soviet Republics.
- Russian ranks eighth among languages other than English spoken in American homes.
- Russian is one of the six official languages of the United Nations.
- Over 90% of students who take Russian at Carleton have no previous experience with the language.
At Carleton we offer:
- An interdisciplinary major in Russian literature and culture.
- A minor in Russian.
- A biannual study-abroad program, “Moscow and Beyond,” which includes a 2-week trip to Lake Baikal and the Republic of Buryatia.
For more information:
- Go to the Placement Page for information about language placement exams.
- For all other questions, check out the Russian Department website.