Did you know?
- Over 50% of English words, and 90% of words of more than one syllable, come from Latin.
- The civilizations of Greece and Rome link us with the cultures of 57 nations on four continents.
- Stephen Colbert knows Latin! You should too.
At Carleton we offer:
- A flexible major in Classics that allows focus in either Greek or Latin, or the civilizations (history, literature, archaeology) more generally.
- Minors in Latin, Greek or Classics.
- Latin courses in authors of interest to students in History, Political Science, Philosophy and Literature.
- Off-campus study programs in Rome through the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies and other organizations.
- An intimate community of faculty and students passionate about the ancient world.
For more information:
- Go the the Placement Page for information about language placement exams.
- For all other questions, check out the Department of Classics.