- All Carleton students in good academic standing irrespective of religious affiliation or knowledge of Hebrew.
- Students who can demonstrate a genuine interest in Israel and Israeli society.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are rising sophomores and juniors so that each award recipient can come back to Carleton and share their experiences and insights into life in Israel.
- Student application, including a budget
- Complete the form explaining the educational experiences that have prepared you for study in Israel and the ways in which this off-campus experience will contribute to your education
- Two recommendations from faculty, or one may be from a work supervisor, or a Rabbi or religious educator who knows you well and understands your educational goals and capacity for studying, interning, or volunteering in Israel.
All materials must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 11, 2022.
This fund was established by Elie Alyeshmerni, Carleton’s Hebrew instructor from 1978 to 1998, to honor his teacher, Professor Jonathan Paradise. Its purpose is to provide financial support to Carleton students who wish to learn more about the culture, history, and politics of Israel in order to better understand the global community in which they live. The amount of the scholarships will depend on the travel budgets of the proposals, as well as the number and quality of proposals received.
Students must be enrolled in Israel in a structured educational program, which need not be a university. Alternatively or in addition, they must be officially registered in a structured internship and/or volunteer program that provides important educational opportunities.
THURSDAY, JANUARY 27, 2022 from 8:00-9:00 pm in the Middle Eastern Languages Lounge, LDC 260.
Note: Although a firm choice of a specific educational program is not required at the time of application, students are advised to explore study options in Israel with Professor Stacy Beckwith, Professor of Hebrew and Director of Judaic Studies, LDC 261, x5307, before applying.