Transfer Out of Carleton to Another Institution

If you are an international student who wants to transfer from Carleton to another school, you must request for ISL to release your SEVIS record to your new school. Transferring your SEVIS record means that you will keep the same SEVIS ID number throughout your program and you will not need to pay the SEVIS fee again as long as you are maintaining your F-1 status. Please note that you can only transfer your SEVIS record once you have completed your program and/or employment as only one institution can maintain your SEVIS record at a time.

F-1 students (currently studying, on OPT, or recently graduated) must request a SEVIS transfer within 60 days of your last date of attendance at Carleton or within 60 days of the end of your OPT. Please note, you are only eligible to transfer your record to another school if the program start date at your new institution is within 5 months of your last day of attendance at Carleton or the end date of your OPT.

J-1 students sponsored by Carleton who wish to transfer to another school must speak with an ISL advisor.

Transfer Out Process

1. Choose the date that you would like to have your SEVIS record released.

  • This day must be within 60 days of the end of your program at Carleton or the end of your OPT.  You can end OPT early and transfer your record.
  • You may no longer work once your SEVIS record has been released.
  • Your Carleton I-20 will no longer be valid for re-entry to the U.S. once your record has been transferred.

2. Provide copies of the following documents to ISL in person or via email to

  • admissions letter to new school
  • transfer form (preferred) or the contact information for the international student advisor at your new school
  • SEVIS School Code for your new school
  • your most recent I-94 record

Transfer In Process (New Students)

Visit the New International Students SEVIS Transfer Form page for more information regarding the completion of your SEVIS Transfer Form.