This form must be completed by:

  • F-1 and J-1 students and scholars who are coming to Carleton from another U.S. institution.
  • All students who have attended another U.S. institution within five months prior to enrollment, regardless of plans to remain in the U.S. or to travel abroad prior to commencement of studies at Carleton.

This form should be completed within 60 days of the close of your period of study at your current U.S. institution.

Transfer Students in F-1 Status Attending Carleton College

Once an international student who is currently in F-1 status at another U.S. institution has been accepted to Carleton, the student will want to arrange to transfer his or her SEVIS record to Carleton after completing his or her current program. The student must first notify his or her current school of his or her intent to transfer to Carleton.  Upon notification by the student, the current school will update the student’s record in the SEVIS as a ‘transfer out’ and indicate that the student will transfer to Carleton, and provide a release date. Carleton College’s school code is SPM214F00187000. Once the student’s record has been released to Carleton, the student is required to contact the Designated School Official (DSO) of Carleton ( to provide an I-20 for his/her studies at Carleton.

Transfer Students in J-1 Status Attending Carleton College

In general, an exchange visitor may transfer from one program sponsor to Carleton College sponsorship if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which the J-1 student was admitted into the United States. The original sponsor must be in agreement with the transfer.

J-1 students must inform ISL Staff of their plans at least 60 days prior to transfer. In either case the student or visiting scholar must complete a SEVIS Transfer Form.