We are delighted you are coming to Carleton! Before arriving on campus, here are a few suggestions to consider:

F-1 or J-1 Visa

Before you can come to the United States you must apply for a visa. Most students will be applying for a F-1 visa, others for a J-1 visa.

It is very important that you apply for your visa as soon as possible. Sometimes there are delays, and we want to make sure you have plenty of time for the whole process.

Should you be denied a visa, you must contact the Director of the Office of International Student Life immediately. The ISL Office may be able to help you with the re-application process.


Students should make several photocopies of their important documents, leaving a set at home and taking several sets with them when they travel. Please carry these documents on your person, not in your checked bags. The most important documents you should create photocopies of are:

  • Passport (identification page)
  • Entry visa stamp page in passport
  • Form I-20 or DS2019
  • Credit cards
  • Other important document such as:
    • Financial affidavits
    • Scholarship award letters
    • Admission letters