In 2021, Carleton’s Indigenous Peoples Alliance, a Carleton student organization chartered by the Carleton Student Association (CSA), put forward the following priorities for the college’s work to live into our land acknowledgement:
- Create staff position to support that work.
- Create designated site for Native students to practice their traditions in the arboretum.
- Create a cultural house for Native students.
- Create tuition-free enrollment for Dakota students.
- Increase courses on Indigenous topics taught by Indigenous professors.
Progress to date on these priorities is outlined in President Alison Byerly’s letter to the campus on Indigenous Peoples’ Day 2022.