- SDAs are Senior volunteers selected by the History Department and the Office of the Dean of the College.
- They are chosen for easy approachability — please do not hesitate to contact them!
- They serve as a resource for all current students, especially new students, who want to talk to knowledgable and experienced upper class students about courses and registration.
- They have general information about College academic policies and procedures, but are particularly knowledgeable about courses, sequences, and requirements in the History department. They are available to answer any department questions and supplement advice available through faculty advisers and published materials.
- They can refer you to the proper person, office, or department for additional help.
- In the History Department, SDAs are also Student Departmental Ambassadors who join lecturers and job candidates for breakfasts and lunches, give campus tours, and attend all public talks.
- In addition, we are particularly interested in sponsoring SDA-led group activities that can help further racial and social justice causes – career panels, concerts, field trips, films, speakers, and other student-driven suggestions. Please submit your suggestions to the SDAs for new 2020-2021 activities.
Many History group activities are possible!
The History Department welcomes suggestions from all majors for activities you might like to do with other History majors. In the past History majors’ SDA-led activities have included pizza office hours, History trivia night at a local pub, field trips to history museums, vintage film nights (with refreshments), bowling outings, lecturer visits, resume-writing workshops, and career panels. Again, we are very interested in sponsoring SDA-led group activities to help further racial and social justice causes – career panels, concerts, field trips, films, speakers, and any other new ideas you have.
Please tell one of the SDAs, the History department Chair, or the History department administrative assistant about the activities you would like to see considered for 2020-2021. The History department publicizes all SDA-led events, e-mails students and faculty, provides modest funding, and reserves rooms, vans, or buses for them.
What History SDAs also do:
- Meet RAs during New Student Week to help first-year students register.
- Table during New Student Week/Registration Fair in the Fall.
- Fall term, meet and talk to History 100 classes.
- Post links of interest, add SDA, special office hour postings, and any other major info in the History Department newsletter.
- Set special Pizza Office Hours before each term’s registration for q & a sessions about courses – come enjoy pizza and conversation!
- Organize annual T-shirt competition, send messages to majors, collect votes for winning design, draft invitations to majors to order t-shirts, The History office is willing to assist with ordering, collecting payments, and distribution.
Our 2020-2021 SDA-led preferred activities and events will be decided by the History majors and minors. Please send your ideas and suggestions to the SDAs!
Annual SDA-led events in the past:
Fall term: Annual History & Tamale Night, History major Interest Meeting with tamales, all class years are invited, including first-year students!
Winter term: Winter History Interest Library Study Break, History major interest meeting with refreshments (Library Athenaeum, pending), all class years are invited, including first-year students!
Spring term: Welcome New History Sophomores and Majors’ Pizza Party! Meet in History lounge, Leighton 204, for Annual SDA-led Walk to Basil’s – ALL History majors and minors are invited!
For additional course and faculty info, please also contact our History Department Curriculum Committee (DCC) Reps!