If you have questions about these and other opportunities, please contact History Department Career and Internship Adviser Bill North.
PLEASE NOTE! Before you check for off-campus opportunities, please visit the Dean’s Office Student Fellowships website — many great opportunities are available. The Dean’s Office says, “Apply early!”
- The Office of Student Fellowships
- Because there’s often been a practice of coordinating due dates, collaborating on information sessions, and consulting in our review of applications for summer opportunities, I’m letting all of you know of our plan to shift the 2021 due dates for nearly all of our fellowships from February to early Spring Term (March 30). We are doing this in recognition of the uncertainty students face in attempting to plan or follow through with a fellowships project right now, which we do not see abating sufficiently by February. We want as many students as possible to be able to apply for our awards. Please send any questions to Marynel Ryan Van Zee, Director of Student Fellowships.
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Center for 17th & 18th-Century Studies and the William Andrews Clark Memorial Library, Program Information, E-mail: Fellowship Coordinator, (310) 206-8552.
- The Chang-Lan Fellowships for Summer Experiential Research
- Edward “Ted” Mullin Memorial Fellowship Prize for Junior History Majors at Carleton
- Ford Foundation Fellowships
- Eligibility: U.S. citizen or national, planning a career in teaching & research at the college or university level. Generous stipends and allowances for fellows and institutions.
- All awardees have expenses paid to attend one Conference of Ford Fellows. Approximately 60 predoctoral, 35 dissertation, and 20 postdoctoral fellowships sponsored by the Ford Foundation and adminsitered by the National Research Council of the National Academies. Application deadline dates are the second week in November.
- William Randolph Hearst Historic House Fellowship
- The Mount Vernon Hotel Museum offers summer fellowships for undergraduate or graduate students interested in U.S. history, material culture, historic preservation, museum studies, or museum education. The fellowship provides the opportunity to engage in scholarly research and to participate in the inner-workings of a historic house museum and education department
- Full-time for a nine-week period during June and July, and carries a generous stipend for each fellow.
- James Madison Graduate Fellowships
- The James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation offers fellowships to individuals desiring to become outstanding teachers of the American Constitution at the secondary school level. Fellowship applicants compete only against other applicants from the states of their legal residence. As funding permits, the Foundation plans to offer one fellowship per state per year.
- Library of Congress Internships and Fellowships
- The Library of Congress offers many exciting opportunities for those seeking employment, internships or fellowships, or volunteer positions.
- Searchable database of assistantships, fellowships, internships, scholarships
- Smithsonian Institution Fellowships
- Fellowships at the Smithsonian Institution provide students and scholars with opportunities to pursue independent research projects in association with members of the Smithsonian professional research staff. Deadline: January 15.
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Highly-supportive graduate program in History. The Department is growing fast, and traditional strengths in American, British, and European history have been reinforced in new fields of race, gender, colonial and post-colonial history. They encourage pursuit of interdisciplinary approaches and programs, such as American Culture Studies. Ph.D. students normally receive six years’ funding.
- Financial support possibilities: Frankel Fellowship, Heller Fellowship, Graduate Fellowship and Olin Fellowships for Women, multi-year awards include tuition remission; University Fellowships, University Scholarships, up to a full year’s tuition remission.
- Grants.gov (all government grants and fellowships)
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- National Institutes of Health
- Fulbright Scholars Program
- American Associations of University Women
- Smithsonian Fellowships
- Carnegie Corporation of New York
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- Spencer Foundation
- J. Paul Getty Grant Program