If you are looking for support in your recovery process, or would like resources to support others in their recovery journey, see the options below. 

1-on-1 Private Support

  • Office Health Promotion staff can help you find support on-campus and in the Northfield community. We can also connect you to other folks in our community who have navigated the recovery process. If you’d like to connect, just fill out this form, and we will reach out to you. All information submitted is private and only seen by the Director and Associate Director in OHP.

On-Campus Confidential Resources

  • Student Health & Counseling (SHAC) – Carleton’s counseling center is the best on-campus mental health support resource for the individual needs of students. SHAC counselors provide confidential one-on-one sessions with students seeking help for many reasons, substance use issues being one of them. In addition to one-on-one counseling, SHAC offers group counseling during each term. Click here to Schedule an appointment with SHAC during the academic year.
  • TimelyCare virtual counseling and support is available to you year-round at NO COST. Additionally, you can access on-call telephone counseling year-round by calling 855-705-2479. Additional information about resources can be found on SHAC’s website.
  • College Chaplains are another resource you can meet with for support. A list of chaplains can be found on their website.

Additional On-Campus Resources

  • If you have a immediate safety related concern, please call Security at 507-222-4444 and they can provide support.
  • Substance-Free Community LivingView a listing of Sub-Free communities at Carleton (it’s listed halfway down the page under Substance-Free Housing Areas). If a student is interested in changing from their current room to one in a substance-free community, it is best to reach out to their Area Director via email. They will do their best to assist any student with finding any alternative housing options, if available.
  • Dean of Students Office (DOSO) – Any student considering recovery support is encouraged to keep their class Dean in the loop. The Dean of Students Office is the best connection between social and academic life, and can be of great support if challenges arise for a student. Students in recovery may experience more challenges than other students, and it is always great to have the support of the Dean to help with communication with faculty and staff.
  • Office of Health Promotion – Specific OHP activities/services that might be helpful for students addressing their substance use include Alcohol and Other Drug coaching services. Alcohol and other drug (AOD) Coaching is a private, one-on-one, 60 minute meeting offered free to all Carleton students who want to explore their alcohol, cannabis, or drug use. Coaching is directed by the student’s interests, and is focused on helping a student determine what role they would like alcohol or drug use to play in their life. If there are changes students want to make, we can also offer resources.


  • AA/NA – Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous meetings take place in Northfield and surrounding areas. Carleton has a private listing of faculty/staff members who have participated in AA that are willing to help students connect with the recovery community. Students wishing to connect with a faculty/staff member can do so here.
  • Health Community Initiative’s Chemical Health Resources – HCI’s page has many great resources for substance abuse support in Northfield. One resource that is within walking distance of campus is Omada Health Services. Omada has medical fees/costs, but it accepts most major health insurance and has very specific support as an outpatient substance use disorder clinic.
  • The Rice County Mobile Opioid Support Team helps individuals using or in recovery from opiate drug use by providing support and connections to community resources, such as: funding for emergencies and transportation, insurance support and funding to help cover costs of Suboxone, free Naloxone (can deliver), freatment and recovery resources, including Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT), chemical health assessments and county services
  • Minnesota Recovery Connection – The Minnesota Recovery Connection advocates for people seeking recovery through a peer network and Recovery Walk. In addition, MRC offers resources on their website.
  • Alcohol Treatment Navigator – The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism offers an Alcohol Treatment Navigator, where you can find in-person treatment options, tele-health services and other online options.

Resources for Individuals Supporting Others Living with a Substance Use Disorder or Addiction