As the student branch of the Office of Health Promotion (OHP), SWAs are here to help you with all your wellness needs. You can visit us any time (during business hours) at OHP in Sayles-Hill room 162.
My name is Helen (She/Her/Hers), and I’m a junior Psychology major. I became a SWA because I love seeing the projects that OHP does. I see the work of OHP all over campus and I make sure to check out the things by the office, so I wanted to be a part of those projects. Here are some things I love to do: dance, listen to music, talk to people, and swing on swings. One thing I love about Carleton is the outdoor space on campus.
Hi my name is Louisa Grader (she/her/hers). I am a sophomore prospective history and polisci major. My favorite OHP resources are the SWA dogs and the OHP table! I especially like the mini hand sanitizers. My favorite part of being a SWA is meeting new people!
Hi! I’m Talia (she/her) and I’m a sociology and anthropology major with a minor in biochemistry. This is my first year as a SWA and it’s been so much fun getting to work with other students committed to the well-being of our community. I feel really strongly about creating a campus environment that is conducive to the health of students, so being a part of the OHP is really awesome. When I’m not in the SWAffice, you can find me at the pool with the swim team or trying to get work done anywhere outside around campus.
Hello! My name is Astrid (she/her/hers). I am a Junior majoring in Biology with minors in Biochemistry and History! My favorite part about being a SWA is connecting members of the Carleton community with important resources while having meaningful conversions. I also feel very lucky to have such supportive and kind co-workers who are all committed to helping Carleton students improve their well-being. At Carleton, besides being a SWA, I enjoy volunteering at the Northfield middle school with the “young chefs” program and playing on the club tennis team. I hope to see everyone at OHP!
Hey! I’m Utsha (she/her/hers) and I’m a junior bio major. As a first-year SWA, I’m super excited to play a direct role in creating a campus culture that recognizes and prioritizes wellbeing. Outside of OHP, I am a part of WHOA! and love dancing as a form of self-care!
Learn More About the SWAs
Statement of Purpose
Student Wellness Advocates (SWAs) seek to create a campus environment that allows the entire Carleton community to flourish by means of peer wellness advocacy and evidence-based health education. SWAs also connect students to the wide array of resources and support available on campus and in the community. In order to bring a truly flourishing campus to fruition we:
- Disseminate wellness and health information through both passive and active programming, while remaining aware of the needs of our ever-shifting campus climate
- Challenge wellness myths and campus norms with peer-reviewed scientific literature as the foundation to everything we do
- Collaborate with other peer educators on campus to most effectively spread awareness and information to specific subsets of our campus population
- Advocate for a student wellness lens in all administrative and faculty decisions and actions
- Connect students to campus resources including, but not limited to, the Office of Health Promotion
- Continually seek new information and best practices in order to best educate ourselves and our campus