This section provides an overview of many benefits available to faculty and staff. In the event of conflict between the overview provided in this handbook and the plan document or insurance plan, the plan document or insurance plan will govern. Complete descriptions are not possible in the handbook; employees should contact Human Resources for specific plan details. The Labor Agreement governs in the case of Union employees in all aspects of this section. Regular non-union employees who have a schedule involving a (.46) FTE or above, and Union employees who have a (.50) FTE or above are eligible to participate in the College’s benefit programs.

Carleton College will comply with all applicable laws such as ACA, FMLA, federal, state, and any applicable regulations.

Employment & Benefits

Workers' Compensation

Report of Injury

The College carries workers’ compensation insurance to reimburse medical expenses and to continue wages in the event of occupational illness or accident incurred in the course of employment.  Staff employees must notify their supervisor (faculty members should notify the Office of Human Resources) of any such injury so an accident investigation can be done to correct the issue if applicable.  The employee and supervisor are expected to fill out the Employee Accident Report form and forward the form to Human Resources. If you are a student worker and have a work-related accident, please fill out this online form. If applicable, HR will file the First Report of Injury with the insurance carrier.

Employees have the right to report work-related injuries and illnesses, and are encouraged to do so, from any retaliation.

Workers’ Compensation Pay

Carleton has the philosophy that it is best for the employee to return to work as soon as possible after a work-related injury and will make every effort to work with restrictions that are assigned by the physician. At times it is necessary for an employee to be off of work during the healing process and Carleton will abide by the Workers’ Comp regulations regarding the payment of wages. The State of Minnesota has a three-day period in which the employee does not receive income through Workers’ Compensation. For these first three days following an injury, an employee will use their accrued sick, vacation or floating holidays. If an employee is unable to return to work after three days, the Workers’ Compensation agent will issue a check to the employee for all authorized continued loss time. Time off needed for doctor appointments and therapy appointments is to be made outside of the employee’s work schedule, if at all possible. If not able to schedule appointments outside the work schedule, then absent accruals would need to be used (sick, vacation, then floating holiday hours). FMLA leave will apply, if applicable, to loss time due to workers’ compensation.

During this leave time, the employee is responsible for paying the employee portion of health care premiums and any other payroll deductions during the period of the leave to ensure continuation of coverage. Arrangements for payments must be made through the Human Resources office. Employees who are more than two months behind on payments and do not make arrangements with Human Resources risk losing coverage. After the six-month period expires, COBRA benefits will be offered. Under COBRA the employee is responsible for paying the entire premium (employee and employer portions) on any insured benefit plans in which the employee participates. It is important to make payments on time to prevent loss of coverage.

Workers’ Compensation Fraud

Fraud is when a person deliberately misrepresents or fails to disclose information about an important fact to receive benefits to which he or she is not entitled. Carleton College has zero tolerance for fraud and will actively pursue an offender.

Last Revised: November 30, 2010

For: Faculty, Staff

Last Reviewed: February 5, 2024

Maintained by: Human Resources

Previous: Weather Days