This section provides an overview of many benefits available to faculty and staff. In the event of conflict between the overview provided in this handbook and the plan document or insurance plan, the plan document or insurance plan will govern. Complete descriptions are not possible in the handbook; employees should contact Human Resources for specific plan details. The Labor Agreement governs in the case of Union employees in all aspects of this section. Regular non-union employees who have a schedule involving a (.46) FTE or above, and Union employees who have a (.50) FTE or above are eligible to participate in the College’s benefit programs.
Carleton College will comply with all applicable laws such as ACA, FMLA, federal, state, and any applicable regulations.
Employment & Benefits
Headley Travel Fund for Professional Meetings
The College also supports professional development through the Headley Travel Fund. Faculty who are not eligible for the Faculty Development Account (FDA) are able to apply to the Headley Travel Fund to support travel to professional meetings. Faculty eligible for the FDA can apply for supplemental support from the Headley Travel Fund as well. Since the first trip in each fiscal year must be financed through the FDA, faculty who apply for Headley Travel Funds will be asked to submit a list of expenses that have been charged to their FDA. Faculty with large, unencumbered balances in their FDAs will be expected to use their FDA funds to pay for additional travel. Application forms for the Headley Travel Fund are available on the Office of the Provost Web site.
The College will contribute to travel expenses from the Headley Travel Fund, where the trip has been approved in advance, under the following conditions:
- Eligible expenses include: a) a competitively priced airfare for round-trip travel between Minneapolis and the meeting location, and b) competitively priced lodging for up to two nights in residence during one professional meeting each year.
- The faculty applying to this fund may normally expect to receive funding for only one such request a year.
- In general, expenses will not be paid for trips to points less than 100 miles from Northfield.
- For travel by private car, mileage will be paid at the regular College rate for the use of private vehicles, provided this cost does not exceed the cost of round-trip airfare.
- Headley Travel funds are intended for use only where the trip or a portion of it is made specifically and primarily to attend professional society meetings. They are not intended to support attendance at such meetings which is incidental to travel for other purposes, e.g., holiday trips and family vacations.
- Full-time visiting faculty members are eligible for up to $1,500 per year.
Since the Headley Travel Fund cannot usually accommodate all the members of the faculty who apply for assistance from it, faculty who plan early and avail themselves of special incentive airfares can help to stretch the Headley Fund and allow more of their colleagues to travel. In addition, faculty who have received authorizations for travel funds, but due to a change of plans do not make use of them, are urged to inform the Office of the Provost immediately of such a cancellation. Prompt notification sometimes makes it possible for a colleague’s application to be approved.
Applications for grants from the Headley Travel Fund should be submitted to the Office of the Provost for approval in advance, and will be considered in the order in which they are received.
Last Revised: July 15, 2022
Last Reviewed: July 15, 2022
Maintained by: Office of the Provost