During academic terms, time set aside over the lunch hour on Tuesday and Thursday is designated as “Common Time.” Appropriate uses of Common Time include:
- All-campus events (e.g., LTC events, guest speakers, recitals);
- Programs related to convocations (e.g., discussion groups prior to or following a convo speaker);
- Departmentally-based events (e.g., comps talks and other student presentations, a faculty forum, brown bag lunches for faculty and students);
- Committees or other groups that meet only on an ad hoc basis, irregularly or only for a single term (e.g., department review committees, task forces and subcommittees that meet only periodically);
- Lunch, socializing, advising, independent study meetings, etc.
Common Time should not be used for:
- Required class meetings or required class-related activities;
- Regularly scheduled departmental, administrative or committee meetings;
- Regularly scheduled meetings of faculty or staff members with students (e.g., weekly meetings between supervisors and student language assistants, regular meetings between residential life staff and RAs).
Last Reviewed: September 9, 2021
Maintained by: Office of the Provost