Applications for Fall 2023
Applications for the Fall 2023 program will open in early November 2022. Please fill out the Connect with Carleton GEP form or email email@example.com to have your name added to the interest list for Buddhist Studies in India Fall 2023.
Program Dates for Fall 2022 and Fall 2023
Buddhist Studies in Bodh Gaya, India runs every fall from early September to mid-December. Program dates for Fall 2022 are below. Program dates for the Fall 2023 program will be announced in December.
September 2 – December 14, 2022 (104 days)
Carleton encourages students to purchase a round-trip airline ticket to Bangkok, Thailand (BKK), and a one-way ticket from BKK to Chiang Mai (CNX). Student program fees cover airfare from Chiang Mai to Gaya (GAY) on Sept 9, and from Gaya to Bangkok on Dec 16.
- Thursday, Sept 1: students in the U.S. depart for Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Friday, Sept 2: students arrive at Chiang Mai International Airport (CNX)
- Friday, Sept 2 – Thursday, Sept 8: orientation in Chiang Mai
- Friday, Sept 9: students and staff fly from Chiang Mai, Thailand, to Gaya Airport, India (GAY) and move into the Burmese Vihar in Bodhgaya
- Monday, Sept 12: classes begin
- Wednesday, Nov 16 – Monday, Nov 21: wrap-up of 10-week courses
- Tuesday, Nov 22 – Wednesday, Nov 23: Students travel to field sites
- Thursday, Nov 24: ISP field work begins
- Saturday, Dec 10: students return to Bodh Gaya from ISP locations
- Wednesday, Dec 14: students depart from Gaya Airport (GAY) or begin independent post-program travel.
- Wed, Dec 14/Thurs, Dec 15: students flying out of Bangkok BKK depart on international flights. (Contact Carleton Off-Campus Studies with questions about appropriate departure times out of BKK.)
Tuition and Program Fees
Tuition and Program Fees for Fall 2023 will be available in September.
Fall 2022 tuition and program fees are listed below.
|Tuition (16 semester credits)||$15,808|
* Program fees include:
- Room & Board
- Lodging and some meals during orientation
- Lodging and all meals through the residence at the Burmese Vihar
- Stipend for lodging and all meals during the Independent Study period
- CISI Emergency Medical Insurance during program dates
** Program transportation includes:
- Air travel from Chiang Mai, Thailand (orientation location), to Gaya, India
- Travel within India to program site and local field trips
- Ground transportation by train or bus during Independent Study
Students are responsible for books and research materials, passport and visa fees, transportation to and from Thailand, and personal expenses.
|Remaining Balance||TBD||July 15|