Applications for Fall 2023
Please fill out the Connect with Carleton GEP form or email email@example.com to have your name added to the interest list for Buddhist Studies in India Fall 2023. Applications for the Fall 2023 program are open until March 15, 2023. The rolling admission process begins in mid-February.
Program Dates for Fall 2023
Buddhist Studies in Bodh Gaya, India runs every fall from early September to mid-December. The tentative program dates for Fall 2023 are below. Dates and itinerary will be finalized in January 2023.
Tentative: August 31 – December 15, 2023 (107 days)
Carleton encourages students to purchase a round-trip airline ticket to Bangkok, Thailand (BKK), and a one-way ticket from BKK to Chiang Mai (CNX). Student program fees cover transportation from Chiang Mai to Bodh Gaya on Sept 7 and 8, and from Gaya to Bangkok on Dec 16.
- Tuesday/Wednesday, Aug 29/30: students in the U.S. depart for Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Thursday, Aug 31: students arrive at Chiang Mai International Airport (CNX)
- Friday, Sept 1 – Thursday, Sept 7: orientation in Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Thursday, Sept 7: faculty, students, and staff fly from Bangkok (BKK) to Delhi (DEL), India
- Friday, Sept 8: faculty, students, and staff fly from Delhi (DEL) to Gaya Airport (GAY), and are transported to the Burmese Vihar in Bodh Gaya.
- Monday, Sept 11: Classes Begin
- Monday, Nov 13 – Wednesday, Nov 15: wrap-up of 10-week courses
- Monday, Nov 20: All student work for 10-week courses must be submitted
- Tuesday, Nov 21: Independent Study Projects (ISP) begin, students travel to ISP sites
- Saturday, Dec 9: Students return to Bodh Gaya
- Friday, Dec 15: all ISP reports submitted
- Saturday, Dec 16: students depart from Gaya Airport (GAY)
- Sat, Dec 16/Sun, Dec 17: students flying out of Bangkok BKK depart on international flights. (Contact Carleton Off-Campus Studies with questions about appropriate departure times out of BKK.)
Tuition and Program Fees
Fall 2023 tuition and program fees are listed below.
|Tuition (16 semester credits)||$16,589|
|Room and Board||$5,846|
- CISI Emergency Medical Insurance during program dates
- ISP travel allowances
- Air travel from Chiang Mai, Thailand (orientation location), to Gaya, India
- Travel within India to program site and local field trips
- Ground transportation by train or bus during Independent Study Project
Students are responsible for books and research materials, passport and visa fees, transportation to and from Thailand, and personal expenses.
|Remaining Balance||$23,883||July 15|