In addition to Carleton Global Engagement Scholarships, there are external scholarships to help pay for a term abroad. Please review the external scholarships listed below and those on the Carleton Off-Campus Studies website.
These scholarships help fund your choice of study abroad programs.
- NAFSA Tamara H. Bryant Memorial Scholarship is awarded through the Fund for Education Abroad to African-American undergraduate students in the United states who hope to study abroad, and who also embody Mrs. Bryant’s spirit of resilience and commitment to intercultural exchange. FEA scholarships range from $1,250-$10,000 and can be applied for programs that run for at least 28 days.
- Gilman Scholarship Program offers up to $5,000 in need-based grants for study abroad (for Pell Grant recipients only) with the opportunity to receive a Critical Need Language Scholarship of up to $8,000.
- Fund for Education Abroad offers general scholarships of up to $10,000 and dedicated scholarships of varying amounts; for students participating in high-quality, rigorous education abroad programs; preference is given to students with financial need.
- Rainbow Scholarship is for LGBTQI students who are applying for a scholarship through Fund for Education Abroad (above) may also choose to be considered for this award. This scholarship awards up to $5,000 to one LGBTQI student participating in a high-quality, rigorous semester-long study abroad program.
- Corrine Jeannine Schillings Foundation offers study abroad scholarships to undergraduate female students who are Silver or Gold award Girl Scouts and have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Explore the World Scholarship provides $2,000 to help finance the recipient’s international trip as long as the trip includes an education or service component. Must be between 18-30 years of age.
Funding for Specific Countries or Regions
- Freeman Awards FOR STUDY IN ASIA, need-based scholarships for students planning to study in Asia. Priority is given to students with no previous experience in Asia, grants range between $3,000 and $7,000.