The Carleton German Program is fortunate to offer a fellowship opportunity to promote immersion in and engagement with German-speaking cultures. The Kuennecke Fellowship can support students in study programs, internships, research, and other opportunities in German-speaking countries. Examples include OCS programs, comps research, unpaid or underpaid internships, volunteer opportunities, and other experiences based on individual needs and interests.
Students should consult with German faculty to prepare a successful application. In exceptional circumstances when travel abroad is not possible, immersion experiences in North America may also be considered.
The application deadline for 2024 is Monday, January 8, 2024 (Week 2 Monday of Winter Term). Applications received after this deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis depending on availability of funds. In the past, typical awards have ranged from $1,400-$2,500.
Students must submit the following documents:
- Personal statement: Provide a one-page statement on how the experience fits into personal, academic, and professional goals.
- Proposal of project/internship and budget (maximum of three pages): Describe the project (what will you do, timeline) and explain how much money you will need. Follow the budget guidelines posted on the Fellowships Office webpage to create your budget.
- The contact information for two Carleton faculty members outside of the German Program who are willing to serve as your references and who can comment on the feasibility of your proposal. These faculty members may be asked to comment on your application.
Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Clarity of the proposal (Is it clear what the student wishes to do; how it will benefit their personal, professional, and academic goals; and how the proposed research and budget are related to that goal? Is it clear that the time frame is appropriate for the activity?)
- Budget rationale (Does the budget seem reasonable, and has the applicant explained each item clearly? Are items included that do not seem necessary?)
- Support of references
If you have any questions about the Kuennecke Fellowship, please contact Profs. Kiley Kost, Seth Peabody, or Juliane Schicker.