This will be a space for the German program to discuss what we mean by “Critical German Studies.” Every four weeks or so, we will publish a blog post about topics, methods, courses, curriculum, history, and other relevant themes that contribute to our goal of approaching German Studies critically.
Topics may include:
- How can we learn and teach in ways that reflect the diversity of German cultures and of our students?
- How can studying a European colonizer’s language be used to combat oppression and dismantle white supremacy?
- How can we reexamine familiar texts in light of social change?
- What critical methods and theories can enable rigorous, engaged, and empowering study and creation of cultural texts?
- How can studying and interpreting German cultures and history help us understand, reflect on, and engage with contemporary issues?