Level: Upper-level Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral students
The Paleontological Society will support a student member to work as an intern with the American Geosciences Institute in summer 2022. The intern will take on substantive work while at AGI with a focus on the intersection of policy and the concerns and impacts on the paleontological community, with topics such as land access, specimen preservation, or any other topics pertinent to the Paleontological Society. The internship will focus on a policy-related project with interns expected to produce policy-maker accessible materials, such as Geoscience Currents, reports, factsheets, and articles for publication in AGI Member Society publications. The specific project topic and scope will be developed cooperatively between AGI staff, Paleontological Society representatives, and the intern.
Interns will be afforded opportunities to interact with federal agencies, National Academy of Sciences briefings and attend congressional hearings and briefings relevant to their project. This immersion in the policy-making process in Washington, DC will allow them to observe, study, and report on how policy-making intersects with and affects the geosciences. They will hone their writing and web publishing skills while gaining first-hand policy experience and improving their understanding of the policy-making process.
Applicants must be current student members of the Paleontological Society. Applicants must be U.S. citizens, and currently enrolled in or have recently completed an undergraduate or graduate geoscience-related degree program. The total salary for the 12-week internship is $6,750. The start date is flexible and will be determined based on the schedule of the successful applicant.
How to apply
Application Deadline: 15 March 2022
- Cover Letter, including a discussion of topics of interest relative to this internship
- List of References
- Current transcript (unofficial is suffient)
- Any other documents you feel pertinent to this internship
Submission and Review
- Submit the required materials as PDFs via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and specify Paleontological Society Internship in the subject line.
- Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered
- Review of applicants will begin after the application deadline. Final selection time will vary based on the number of applicants, but we expect to announce the decision by 15 April 2022.
For more information, send only inquiries to Christopher Keane.
AGI expects this internship will be in-person at AGI’s office in the Washington, DC area. This position is provided through a generous grant from the Paleontological Society. Applicants are encouraged to obtain credit for the internship from their university.