Location: Pasadena, California.
Applied EarthWorks, Inc. (Æ) has openings for Paleontological Technicians in our Pasadena, California office. These positions will report to the Paleontology Supervisor.
Paleontological technicians will be responsible for carrying out pre-construction field surveys and conducting mitigation monitoring during project development. Job duties may also include fossil salvages, matrix washing and picking, and laboratory work (preparation, identification, and cataloging of fossil specimens). All work will be conducted under the supervision of a qualified Paleontologist.
- Paleontology (fieldwork, museum or research) experience;
- Ability to read and interpret geologic maps, and record geologic and stratigraphic data;
- Ability to recognize and record fossil resources in the field;
- Knowledge of and basic operation of GPS technology;
- Aptitude for taking detailed and accurate field notes;
- Ability to confidently drive in “off-road” conditions;
- Physically fit and able to handle strenuous field conditions in sometimes adverse weather. Fieldwork may require hiking on rugged terrain and steep slopes; standing or walking for long periods of time throughout the day; lifting and carrying loads up to 40 pounds; stooping, bending, and kneeling.
- Valid drivers license / Real ID or passport; ability to pass a basic background screening for entry onto Department of Defense installations;
- Pre-employment drug screening may apply for specific project assignments.
Education and Experience
Undergraduate or advanced degree in geology, paleontology, earth sciences, or closely related field. Prior experience in California preferred, but not required. Experience with Survey 1-2-3 and ArcCollector a plus.
How to Apply
Interested applicants may submit a letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and list of three professional references to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Paleontological Field Technician” in the subject line. No phone calls please.