Salary: 16.80/hour and as of 7/1/23 it will be 17.75/hour.
Purpose of Position: The purpose of this position is to provide support to the Office of Sustainability. The 5th year coordinator will support the development and tracking of sustainability outreach and programming. The coordinator will also support raising the visibility of sustainability efforts via social media and the website. The coordinator will collaborate with students, faculty, and staff to advance sustainability.
- Creating or supporting outreach events in collaboration with students, faculty, and staff that contribute to sustainability literacy.
- Collaborate with the Director of Sustainability and facilities to understand and develop strategies for advancing waste management priorities.
- Collaborate with campus broadly to understand transportation opportunities.
- Contribute to the assessment and tracking of sustainability metrics.
- Develop website and social media content for the Office of Sustainability especially related to outreach programming in sustainability.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Collaborate with others on campus in contributing to the development and implementation of strategies for the campus to achieve carbon neutrality in support of the commitment made by the College to the American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC).
- Collaborate closely with facilities staff to reduce campus waste streams, especially landfill waste, and promote zero-waste initiatives.
- Support the measurement and tracking of the College’s sustainability goals and progress.
- Collaborate with the Director of Sustainability and others to develop priority programming. Implement campus sustainability events and programs that emerge as priorities such as Climate Action Week.
- Contribute to reporting that advances sustainability recognition (STARS, Second Nature).
- Support Sustainability Office website and social media content.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience with sustainability issues
- Excellent communication skills—oral and written—to document and translate sustainability projects and practices to the campus and general community.
- Commitment to inclusion, diversity and equity with a demonstrated ability to work effectively with a broad range of constituencies across the organization.
- Excellent computer skills with experience using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree from Carleton
- Project experience with sustainability programs, initiatives, and implementation of sustainable practices
- Past experience working with the Office of Sustainability
- Experience with sustainability outreach projects
- Experience with website design and social media
Sarah Fortner, Ph.D. (she/her/hers)
Director of Sustainability
Office of Sustainability