Below are some resources on changing your name at Carleton, in the state of Minnesota, and on your passport.

Not all of this information will apply to everyone. Being trans means different things to different people, and there’s no “right” way to be trans or timeline that you have to stick to. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact the GSC.

At Carleton

If you are interested in changing your name at Carleton, contact to begin the process. We can help you navigate changing your name on your OneCard and with the registrar and submit a form to waive the fee for a new OneCard.

In order to change your name on the mailbox lists in Sayles, contact Mail Services to request that your preferred name be used.

In order to change your displayed first and last names on class rosters, Moodle, and in Google (GMail), contact Ann May or go to the registrar’s office.

In order to change your email address and username, email Les LaCroix.  

In the State of Minnesota

You can also take steps to legally change your name in the state of Minnesota or your home state. The requirements to change your name in Minnesota are:

  1. Have lived in the State of Minnesota for at least six months (contact the Dean of Students office for paperwork verifying this)
  2. File the Application for Name Change in the county in which you presently live
  3. Be at least 18 years of age
  4. Pay the civil filing fee and certified copy fee (if you are unable to pay the filing fee you can ask court administration for forms to see if you qualify for a fee waiver)
  5. Have a witness present (the GSC can provide you with a witness as well as arrange and pay for transportation to court)

In addition to these requirements, you need to complete and submit a number of forms. All the necessary forms and additional resources are available on the Minnesota Judicial Branch website.

Driver’s License

In Minnesota you must petition for a variance (gender change). An individual who has changed their birth record, or who documents having had genital correction surgery, will almost undoubtedly have their request approved. Persons who have not had genital correction surgery should enclose a letter, preferably from a physician, confirming hormone therapy or other permanent physical changes.


If you want to change your name and gender on your passport, refer to the National Center for Transgender Equality’s “Understanding the New Passport Gender Change Policy.

Announcing Your Name Change

Sending your professor or boss an email can be a good way to let them know that you prefer to be called a different name and use different pronouns. Ohio University’s LGBT Center suggests including the follow points in an email:

  • Statement of the name/gender they have on class roster.
  • State preferred name and gender (“I prefer to be referred to by ____ pronouns”).
  • Brief explanation (“I identify as transgender, which means _____ to me.”).
  • “I prefer for no one to know about my transgender status” vs. “I would be willing to talk about being transgender as it related to class discussion” (depending on class and personal preference).
  • Thank them for being understanding.
  • Say they can email you if they have questions.
  • Provide your contact information.
  • Provide them with relevant websites for more information.

They also provide this sample email:

Professor ___________, 

I am a student in your (insert class name here). I am getting in contact with you to let you know that I identify as (insert identity here). My name will probably show up on your roster as (insert legal name here), but I would prefer to go by (insert chosen name here) and (masculine/feminine/neutral) pronouns.

I will be putting (insert chosen name here) on my assignments and would appreciate it if you called me that in class. If you have any questions for me regarding this, please don’t hesitate to contact me. My email address is (insert email address here) and my phone number is (insert phone number here). 

Thank you very much for your understanding, 

(sign with chosen name)

If you don’t feel comfortable communicating directly with your professors, you can contact your class dean, who can send an email to the professor letting them know about your preferred name and pronoun.