How To Apply for Financial Aid: Returning Students
Life changes. To make sure your financial aid package best reflects your family’s current financial situation, students must apply for financial aid every year. Our goal is to keep aid awards as stable as possible during your four years at Carleton.
Step 1: 2023–2024 CSS Profile
- School code 6081
- For 2023–2024, use 2021 tax information.
- Custodial parents need to complete a CSS profile.
- The CSS Profile is free for families making up to $100,000 a year. For families earning above that, there is an initial fee of $25. Find more information on the CSS Profile website.
Step 2: Upload Federal W2s to IDOC
- College Board will send you a notification to do so once your CSS profile is complete.
- Carleton will be notified once student and parent W2s are submitted.
- Recommendation: Upload electronic copies directly rather than printing and mailing; it’s faster, cheaper, and more secure.
Step 3: FAFSA (U.S. students only)
- Previous FAFSA applicants should login in as returning users. Have your FSA ID available (for student and parents) or go to My FSA ID and click “Forgot My Username.”
- New FAFSA applicants should select “Start here”
- Use the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- You must complete the FAFSA if you want to qualify for federal loans, whether subsidized or unsubsidized.
Step 4: Student Employment
If you have not already been hired for the upcoming work, complete the Student Interest form by May 20. Students with need-based financial aid will be given priority consideration.
Step 5: Visit The Hub to check your status
Log in to view the current status of your financial aid application documents.
Note: We may need to collect other forms and information. If needed, we will request them directly from the family and give instructions on how to proceed.
For current international students: Your aid award will remain the same throughout your four years at Carleton. You do not need to reapply.
|Round 1||January 9th, 2023||End of February|
|Round 2||March 27, 2023 (first day of Spring Term)||Mid-May (followed by rolling basis)|